Menu
ZanderRed
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet not running at full speed

I have 3 pieces of equipment connected to my superhub 2, all 3 are gigabit ported, all 3 with brand new cat 6 cable but only 1 green light and 2 amber I.e. 2 restricted to 100 mbps

Equipment is virgin v6 box (green light), ps4 pro and 4k fire TV box (both amber)

Any ideas?

Don't want the Hub 3.0 as I hear it is terrible, high lag/latency
0 Kudos
wyndstryke
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet not running at full speed

ZanderRed wrote:

Don't want the Hub 3.0 as I hear it is terrible, high lag/latency

I've got gigabit links going from my hub3 to my PC and TV, seems OK.

Does the 4K Fire TV actually have a gigabit port?  The following page says it's 100mb/s.

https://www.review-hub.co.uk/amazon-fire-tv-4k-vs-fire-tv-comparison-upgrade/

This might possibly cause a bottleneck on the other port if the ethernet ports on the hub2 are implemented as a 'level 1' hub rather than a level 2 or 3 switch or router ... implementing it as a router would be how it's normally done.   In ethernet terms, a 'hub' limits speed to the slowest device which is plugged in, because the ports are all connected to each other directly, whereas a router or a switch will allow a mix of speeds because the ports are independent ... I am not sure how the ethernet is implemented on the hub2, certainly the hub3 has independent ports because it's actually a router not a hub).

0 Kudos
ZanderRed
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet not running at full speed

Re Fire TV, older boxes were 100mbps, latest is supposed to be 1000mbps but will double check, PS4 is definitely GB

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/amazon-fire-tv-1304511/review

This all seemed to happen when virgin changed me from Vivid 150 to Vivid 200

I am going to try something I should have done 1st before posting and switch which cable is in which port to see if it a cable fault (in 2 cables!) or port fault

I have a GB switch connected to port 4 and that is working at full speed - green light

I understand the firmware fix for the Puma chipset found in hub 3 is on its way but am holding off changing until then

0 Kudos