Menu
DizzyIT
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Epsom KT19 - Area 20 - Slow speeds and high Pings

Hi,

Since moving in I have consistently had bad speeds of around 5 - 10mb (speedtest.net & Fast.com) between 6.30 and 11pm. My graph (below) tallys with the really bad throughput and high pings of around 40-50ms when gaming online. And the ping will also drop back down to a more "normal" 10ms later on in the evening.

After 12pm speeds are back to normal (50mb). Can a VM employee investigate my connection and explain why the speeds are so bad?

Thanks, Dizzy

Epsom VM 13.06.png

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
plane_co
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Epsom KT19 - Area 20 - Slow speeds and high Pings

Virgin Media have been telling me the same thing for almost a year now.

There is a well known fault that requires work from Virgin Media, which is apparently planned.

However, they told me the first time that it was planned for March 2016 - that moved to June 2016 and it is still sh!t.

I pay for 50mb and generally get speeds of between 1 and 10(if I am lucky) download between 18:00 and midnight - the time I want to use it. I don't use it or check it at other times as virgin helpfully suggest, because guess what - I work for a living!

About the 3rd time I phoned to compain - about six months ago now, they informed by that they can refund part of my charges - they did that and back dated it to when the issues started.

But!!!... even though they know the issue still exists because they haven't carried out the required work - they do not apply this discount going forward - telling me that if I want this discount I have to phone them each month - this is not a straighforward call - like, "hello virgin your service is still Sh!t give me my money back".  No way - it takes a phone call to a call centre where they have no idea what is going on and it takes an hour of my life each time that I will never get back.

OK, rant over... if you are not in contract or can be bothered to argue and get out of it, get your broadband elsewhere, at least until VirginMedia have completed the required work.

By the way - although they know about this pre-existing issue - they don't tell you when you sign up!

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi DizzyIT, 

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your speeds. Looking at that Think Broadband graph the average latency does increase somewhat during peak time. 

Looking at your connection this fits with what I have found, it seems you are affected by fault ref F003895361 for slow speeds at peak times. 

It looks like a CAT-C is required, this is a large undertaking of work which can involve anything from digging up the roads to building a new head end building to store equipment. This can require a lot of planning and permissions from local councils, businesses, landowners, gas, water, electric to name but a few. 

We should have more news on this after 26/10/2016. I will pop your details across to another team in our department and they will be in touch as soon as possible to talk about this further. 

I wish I had better news for you at this time, we will continue to keep you updated. 

Is it only during peak times you notice the slow speeds and high pings? 

Keep us posted.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
PeterPan2003
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@EmmaK

I live in the same area. What is a CAT-C? Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi there PeterPan2003,

Hope you don't mind me responding on Emma's behalf.

CAT-C is a type of hardware upgrade required in the cable modem termination system.

Hope this helps,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
thedotlair
Dialled in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Nat_J wrote:

Hi there PeterPan2003,

Hope you don't mind me responding on Emma's behalf.

CAT-C is a type of hardware upgrade required in the cable modem termination system.

Hope this helps,

Nat_J

@Nat_J, is this fault in reference to the whole of Area 20 or just specifically Epsom?

0 Kudos
plane_co
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media have been telling me the same thing for almost a year now.

There is a well known fault that requires work from Virgin Media, which is apparently planned.

However, they told me the first time that it was planned for March 2016 - that moved to June 2016 and it is still sh!t.

I pay for 50mb and generally get speeds of between 1 and 10(if I am lucky) download between 18:00 and midnight - the time I want to use it. I don't use it or check it at other times as virgin helpfully suggest, because guess what - I work for a living!

About the 3rd time I phoned to compain - about six months ago now, they informed by that they can refund part of my charges - they did that and back dated it to when the issues started.

But!!!... even though they know the issue still exists because they haven't carried out the required work - they do not apply this discount going forward - telling me that if I want this discount I have to phone them each month - this is not a straighforward call - like, "hello virgin your service is still Sh!t give me my money back".  No way - it takes a phone call to a call centre where they have no idea what is going on and it takes an hour of my life each time that I will never get back.

OK, rant over... if you are not in contract or can be bothered to argue and get out of it, get your broadband elsewhere, at least until VirginMedia have completed the required work.

By the way - although they know about this pre-existing issue - they don't tell you when you sign up!

plane_co
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Nat_J, when is this going to be fixed? - I was first informed of this fault in December 2015, and it had already been on-going for months before that...
plane_co
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Happen to be at home today and just run a speed test again.

2.37 down and 1.84 up

Absolutely useless on a plan that I am paying for 50mb downloads.

Virgin Media clearly have a sense of humour though as the keep sending me messages about how great it is that they are going to upgrade me from 50mb to 70mb for no extra charge...

Hahaha

DizzyIT
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Just chiming in again and letting everyone know this is still an issue in the Epsom area...
0 Kudos
plane_co
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I left a couple of months back, switched to BT broadband on a good deal at the time.

I get consistent speeds of 50mb+ and much higher upload speeds than I ever got with Virgin Broadband.

0 Kudos