Menu
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Effect of on-demand viewing on internet speed?

There appears to be a general increase in the encouragement of catch-up and on-demand viewing of TV and movies these days, rather than live and recorded viewing. Is this increased bandwidth of Internet TV and movie transmission what is killing our general Internet access speeds, when kids get home from school and adults from work? Like VoIP, this data is time critical, so my question is whether these data packets are prioritised over our Googling and general Internet access and thus ruin the broadband experience for non-streamers? If so, our peak time experience is only likely to get worse, isn't it? Clearly, this question is directed at VM technical support or other community members employed in the ISP industry.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Effect of on-demand viewing on internet speed?

There is no specific protocol priority in place within Virgin Media. Traffic from Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer is treated exactly the same as going to The Guardian's website.

The management in place on Virgin Media is aimed at the upstream traffic on some of the broadband tiers (but again it covers all traffic and not specific activity), and will manage Newsgroup and 'Peer to Peer' traffic across the Virgin Media network level to ensure that it doesn't impact other customer activity.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is no specific protocol priority in place within Virgin Media. Traffic from Netflix, YouTube and iPlayer is treated exactly the same as going to The Guardian's website.

The management in place on Virgin Media is aimed at the upstream traffic on some of the broadband tiers (but again it covers all traffic and not specific activity), and will manage Newsgroup and 'Peer to Peer' traffic across the Virgin Media network level to ensure that it doesn't impact other customer activity.
0 Kudos
jadedomnivore
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks BenMcr.

You mention Netflix and iPlayer in your reply, so I assume all those on-demand and catch-up services on my TiVo, whereby I can watch programmes from yesterday, last week or whole box sets are taking away bandwidth from other regular Internet traffic such as browsing? If there is no management or prioritisation, presumably the more people stream on-demand, the more those services will buffer and the slower our browsing experience will be. With more HD streaming and now possibly UHD streaming, we'll soon be struggling for enough bandwidth to cope?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media do work to keep ahead of the usage curve as much as they can. This involves adding new capacity and also swapping out older equipment with newer versions to improve the network performance.

I appreciate that in some areas this doesn't always work as planned and these areas do have utilisation issues, but there is work going on to address this.

Overall though usage of 'Over The Top' video services such as Netflix or BBC iPlayer should be possible without impacting other broadband usage.
0 Kudos