Menu
MechaGS
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Edinburgh EH16 Area - Slow Evening Downspeeds / High Ping

Hi there.

I was wondering if there are any known issues in my area as the speeds in the evening have been getting progressively worse for the last few weeks.

I have been performing speed tests regularly and have noticed a decline in service when it comes to downspeed and ping. Here is my latest speed test for example.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Edinburgh EH16 Area - Slow Evening Downspeeds / High Ping

Hello MechaGS

Thanks for the post and so sorry about the reduced speeds.

Your line and modem look good but the area is over-utilised, traffic has built up in the evenings. We are aware ref F002998622 and recently carried out some upgrade work however the traffic has built up again.

At the moment we would like to carry out some more work but have no firm dates as it is still at the planning stage. The ticket is up for review on 07 JAN 2015 so please post back then and we may know more.

Please give us a call 150.0345 4541111 to discuss your options in the meantime.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
astrapoc
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Dear Nocola_C,

I am from EH16 area and I experience exactly the same problem as MechaGS for the last 2 years. Every time I asked for help, either your telephone helpline or forum, I was always sent away to the tips on your web page (to check computer settings, USB adaptor, my SuperHub) and, obviously nothing helped at all, because, as you stated:

the area is over-utilised, traffic has built up in the evenings. We are aware ref F002998622 and recently carried out some upgrade work however the traffic has built up again.

At the moment we would like to carry out some more work but have no firm dates as it is still at the planning stage. The ticket is up for review on 07 JAN 2015 so please post back then and we may know more.

It is very disappointing for me as a customer - I was always encouraged to follow your tips that will not work because there is obvious problem in EH16 area, the bills increase every few months, and the service getting worse and worse.

Nicola_C, how could I claim the compensation and how can I arrange a change of my bundle - paying over £40 / per month is pointless, promised quality is simply not provided and you are aware of the problem and you still charge enormous cash.

Thanks

0 Kudos
astrapoc
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Dear MechaGS,
I'm from EH16 area and I experience exactly the same problems for 2 years now. I was always advised to follow various silly tips, with no success, and now I can see why.
These is a serious problem with EH16 area, however I am being charged enormous £41 per month for low speed, lack of broadband, brakes in service and so on.

Have you contacted Virgin to claim compensation?
I will do this on the nearest opportunity as I feel being ripped of (especially when they know there is no decent alternative to their services).
0 Kudos
MechaGS
Joining in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Every time I've called looking to talk about compensation, I get given the run-around by someone who tells me that the issues will be fixed by the end of the day (6pm is the most quoted time I've ever heard over the phone).

I phoned on Monday and got given the usual script from the CS agent. I don't intend to keep trying as it's not really getting me anywhere.

I've never managed to discuss actual compensation when I phone, it's always tests and false assurances.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello astrapoc

So sorry you are experiencing speed issues, I will take a fresh look at your connection.

The line and modem test good. Even though you may share a similar part of your post code to MechaGS you are in a different area and on a different part of our network.

The upstreams and downstreams that supply you are not over-utilised and are error free.

I notice that when I interrogate the hub it seems you have a lot of wireless devices connected but no wired, do you measure your speed over the wireless please? This will never be as good as wired sorry and is prone to interference etc and intermittent slower throughput.

We have a wireless guide here that may help.

Thank you Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello MechaGS

So sorry I can see that you gave us a call and it looks like the agent got a bit confused with some upgrade work in the area while overlooking the main issue, please accept our apologies.

I have updated the account notes with the over-utilisation references.

I will send you a private message as I wish to discuss some sensitive stuff with you now.

Speak soon Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
MechaGS
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

My area had a large maintenance this morning which has led to a drastic change in the net after 6pm. It's now working really well and I couldn't be happier.

Awesome to see it all going well and good on VM dealing with the issue in a timely fashion. It's been a long haul to deal with and I thank VM for their time in dealing with the issues.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello MechaGS

So pleased your speed has improved thank you for letting us know.

However I have to be honest about these things, your area is still over-utilised on our network recorded data and the ticket remains open F002998622 with a January review.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
wild_quinine
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Is there any update on F002998622?

Is it likely that I am affected by utilisation issues? I've just moved into an EH16 address and my speed tested at 110mbps on the tuesday mid morning, but tonight things seemed a bit off, so I ran a few checks and I was stuck between 6mbps and 8mbps for hours. The funny thing is that my upload speed was still at 12mbps.

After around 10pm things started picking up again ever so slightly and I'm now getting around 25mbps, but I'm now dreading the notion that I might be stuck with terrible internet when I want to use it most...

0 Kudos