Menu
PinkyG
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Drops in broadband speed

Hi Folks,

I am a relatively new virgin media customer (about 3 months), on the up to 200MB package (Superhub 3) and have noticed drops in speed.

Normally a speed test results in 180-200MB, though there are occasions when it seems to slow down. Last night for example after playing on the PSN I came off and did a speed test. It returned 60MB! I performed a handful of tests over the next hour and the speed gradually seemed to increase back to 190MB at the last test. I confirmed there were no other devices using the broadband at the time of testing. Any ideas what could be causing this? I have been aware of it on about 3 occasions since joining.

Thanks

0 Kudos
pckpck
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Drops in broadband speed

your lucky I'd love to get 60mbps  or even the upto 50mbps that were paying for   as were averaging 3mbps  over the last three days or so 

0 Kudos
pckpck
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

having done a little research ....it appears that the router log [?] maybe full  so switched router off and on  now back to a barely acceptable 17mbps  [on a upto 50 mbps tariff]

0 Kudos
PinkyG
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My speeds do pick back up again themselves, so it's not likely to be the same cause as pckpck.

0 Kudos
PinkyG
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can anybody offer any advice? I rebooted the router last night. Even after that I got 30MB speedtest results...Results via PC varied from 30 odd MB to 220MB. Results on phone varied from 14MB to 190MB.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi PinkyG, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's really great having you on board with us in the Community Smiley Happy 

I'm sorry to hear you are having an issue with your broadband speeds. Checking your account, things are looking good from what I can see. The hub's power levels and signals are all where they should be and there are no timeouts either. The area is also looking good with no signs of congestion. 

Checking the devices you have connected, most of these are wireless or through powerline adaptors. When connecting directly to a PC / Laptop via the ethernet cable how are the speeds looking then? 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

PinkyG
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your input. Apologies for the delay in coming back to you, there's been a lot going on of late.

I've done tests on the pc and the results were the same.

The superhub 3 has been replaced. I'm still noticing lag though when online gaming.

I came across the below link :-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

Who could tell me the expected turn around for this, or would it be possible to get a Superhub 2 (a good netgear product)?

Thanks

Geoff

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Geoff,

Thanks for coming back to us Smiley Happy

I've just tried to check your connection again this afternoon, but I can't seem to find your account from your registered IP or email address.

I'll just need to confirm additional info via PM (purple envelope, top right).

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
PinkyG
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,

I've PM'd the details as requested.

Thank you for your help!

As indicated via PM I don't believe it's a connection issue as such, more to do with the intel puma chipset in the superhub3 as per the below articles.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/12/intel-working-fix-virgin-media-superhub-3-router-latenc...

I'm posting the links here too in case any other users are encountering similar issues.

Thanks

Geoff

0 Kudos