Menu
Kingsy
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dropping speeds and restarting or router

We have only been with Virgin a few weeks, we signed up for 100mbps package and are struggling to achieve anywhere like thoses speeds (my phone upstairs has just achieved 7.85mbps), plus the last few days the speeds keep dropping, we keep restarting the router and it affecting my ability to work from home.

My computer upstairs is linked to my router downstairs through a TP -Link so I should achieve decent speeds but i havent achieved anything like the 100MBPS. Sometimes it can't even connect to my speed checker.

Is there a fault with my set up?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dropping speeds and restarting or router

1st need to work out if its a problem with your setup, or with virgins internet/hub.

Even powerline adapters can have problems.

Any chance you can temporarily connect something directly to the hub with an ethernet cable and do a test then, also if possible test at a few different times of the day.

Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kingsy, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your issues with your broadband connection being slow, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, no errors or time outs inside the Hubs logs and all of your power levels are within the preferred ranges.

Are you still experiencing these problems? If so, how are you connected wired or wireless?

Would you please run a wired speed test and include the results in your response for us to see.

When do you notice these slow speeds, all times of day or just specific times?

Also when the connection drops is there any change to the Hubs light sequence?

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Kingsy
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI Adam

I have added some replies to your replies below!

Are you still experiencing these problems? If so, how are you connected wired or wireless?

**Yes the connection still drops from time to time. We have the router in the front lounge, i have a TP Link connected to this and that then links to another TP link box upstairs in my office which connect straight into my computer.

The TVs and our devices then connect to the router by wireless, nothing is hardwired in (aprt from this TP Link)

Would you please run a wired speed test and include the results in your response for us to see.

**I will do this later as need my husbands laptop, i work off an imac so that's quite bulky to carry downstairs

When do you notice these slow speeds, all times of day or just specific times?

**Last night for example we were watching a film in the back room on Netfix and it got stuck half way through a film. It was around 9.15pm, we have had issues last week again in the eve with the TV mid way through a film suddenly announcing it can't connect to the internet.

Looking at my speedchecker results on my phone (which I checked everytime the internet seems to drop out) i can see that on 15th March at 5.16pm the speed was 0.13mbps, on 16th March it was 0.05mbps at 4.39pm, 17th March at 9.57am it was 7.85mbps, 18th March at 4.26pm it was 0.16mbps, at 19th March at 4.27pm it was 1.97mbps, 21st March it was 1.09mbps at 12.45pm.

On my phone unless I'm stood next to the router my speeds vary from 12mbps up to 40mps.

I was hoping using the TP link my computer would get decent speeds but sometimes this isn't the case.

Also when the connection drops is there any change to the Hubs light sequence?

**No, my husband has had to restart the router a few times but hasn't seen any different symbols on the router.

** Do we need boosters to help send the wireless signals around the house?If so what do you suggest and how many?

Often during the day if the speed drops no one else is using devices, and with the 100mps speed we pay for I wasn't expecting to get these slow issues. This is why we swapped to Fibre.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kingsy

Thanks for getting back and for your thorough reply. The actual connection to the hub is looking good, the area traffic is low and performance is good. It would tend to suggest an issue on the local side (LAN) 

To be honest wireless is never the best medium for stability as it may be affected by so many factors Should I use a wireless or a wired connection?  Getting the best WiFi Signal

Have you had a chance to try a direct Ethernet cable like stevedh2 kindly suggested yet.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Kingsy
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nicola

No we haven't had the chance to use the cable direct to the router as i often hve the issues with the speed dropping during the day when i don't have access to a laptop i can connect...my mac is too big to carry downstairs.

The speed did drop last week and Steve had asked of we have ay symbols on the router, i looked and this is what i recorded;

12.33pm my internet froze, i went downstairs and the horizontal light was flashing on the router, then the wifi signal was there and flashing as was the arrows symbol, then the horizontal stopped flashing and the wifi signal disappered then came back again, the arrows stopped flashing and eventually it all went back to normal.

I will read up on the wifi signal details you've added below. But when we were with Sky on normal broadband we didn't have these issues and we changed to fibre to enable better service when the whole family is using the internet but it seems to struggle when its just me!

I will keep monitoring it this end and if we struggle when we have an available laptop to plug into the router i'll see what the speeds are

0 Kudos
Kingsy
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi I sent a reply yesterday but wanted to update you today as we had more issues last night, so we plugged in the laptop and took readings on that and both our phones across the house.

One thing we would say is that the coverage is very spikey. My husband had issues with his coverage spiking in his office when he first had Fibre installed and although checks your end looked ok in the end he had a new router installed which sorted out the constant spiking problem.

Right last night my phone was really struggling to connect to wifi upstairs.....i appreciate the signal might be weak from time to time, but we never had these constant issues with Sky broadband. I couldn't get onto test the speed as the speed test site message said there was a network issue (a message i have seen alot of recently!). So we plugged in the laptop and tested around 8.55pm last night;

Laptop hard wired got 72.90mbps, my phone right next to it was a pathetic 1.33mbps, my husbands phone on the stairs was only 7mbps

We then tested again a few minutes later, the laptop got 70.86mbps, my phone got 101.22mbps!

I appreciate that hard wiring is better but thats not practical...but my TP link should surely make my computer upstairs work well?

But to be next to the router (so no walls in the way) and only to get 1.33mbps one minute and over 100mbps a few minutes later through wifi is a bit crazy.

WE need decent wifi across the house so is there anything you can suggest? Boosters? And why does the signal spike constantly? I updated to fibre and high speeds so we wouldn't have these issues.

Please help!

I hope you can help!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kingsy,

I've just taken another look at your connection and think it's a good idea to get an engineer out to check over your local connection.

Your Hub is reporting a number of T1 timeouts - admittedly these could have occurred at any point during the past 6 days that your Hub has been online. But if there is any localised issue affecting you then the engineer it best placed to find out. 

Please reply to my PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and I'll schedule an appointment for you.

But do please post an update so we can be of further assistance if needed.

Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Kingsy
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI

We are still having issues with our broadband.

My son regularly plays on his xbox after school and I am on my computer or the smart tv, he daily complains of the wifi dropping out and causing issues with the game he's playing and often we have to restart the router if the TV gets stuck or my lap top is slow to connect to the internet.

We have apparently now got a free upgrade to faster speeds, so if that's the case why is todays speed checker (my lap top is hard wired into the router) results showing a downlaod speed of 15.72mbps....not up in the 80's or 100's which is what we pay for?

On my phone (through wifi) i am getting spiky speeds of around 3.11mbps today at 17.12pm...this is very poor.

Please help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kingsy

I am sorry you are still having problems, the hub and line look very good, all stats nicely in spec, the hub is reporting being continuously online for the last 2 days with no errors. The area data shows low traffic and no noise issues. I wonder if the laptop is working okay or perhaps you are using a speed test site hosted off our network, if not so already when measuring speed over an Ethernet please use www.speedtest.net leaving the default server Checking your Virgin Media broadband performance

Wireless performance depends on so many local variables, we have some tips that may help 5 quick tips for faster home WiFi

We would always recommend a wired connection for gaming by the way, sometimes if it is difficult to run a long Ethernet lead in the house it may be worth considering trying Powerline adaptors to utilise the mains wiring.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos