Menu
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dropping connection from internet and slow download speeds

I keep having my Virgin super hub disconnecting from the net at random times.

When it is connected I have really low download and upload speeds.

I'm starting to wonder what I'm actually paying for as the the service is getting totally unreliable.

I've been on the phone several occasions to support who run test and say something about power spikes, they fix their end and then days later the issues return. I normally resort to restarting the Virgin super hub - I didn't expect that I'd have to do it every day!?

Typical speeds illustrated below for my (up to)150MB connection... not exactly 'Usain Bolt' speeds...

Screenshot 2016-09-11 10.55.56.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dropping connection from internet and slow download speeds

Hi davemarlow

Thanks for posting on the community.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

From checking your connection, there is an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area which is causing intermittent connection. The reference number is F004768963 with a review date of 29th September.

In regards to the slow speeds, are you testing through a wired or wireless connection? If wireless can you try through wired please? Do you notice these speeds at all times of the day or at certain times?

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

The connection speeds are for a wired connection. The wireless connection has the same very low download speeds. Persistent dropped connections, buffering and generally poor service over the last few months. My iPhone on 4G has been quicker with internet access! 

I do wonder that the claimed of 'up-to 150MB' is misleading advertising, as the real average download speeds for my area are 38MB, this makes me think that I'm paying for claimed download speed I will never get as I only just get 8MB.

New test results below attached below.IMG_0683.PNG

I'm starting the process of shopping around for a more reliable service provider hence the uSwitch screen grab.

I don't expect that you, or anyone, will really care about my poor service being such a large company with an almost complete monopoly on cable wired internet connections in the region where I live.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Morning davemarlow

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand how frustrating this issue is and I would like to help get this resolved for you.

In regards to the SNR fault that I mentioned, this has now been closed down as resolved.

I can see that you are using the Super Hub in mode mode, are you using your own equipment for the wireless? Can you complete a speed test with your equipment disconnected and a direct connection to the Super Hub please, leaving it in modem mode? Also use speedtest.net for testing the speeds.

Let me know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I was using just the Virgin Modem for wireless and ethernet  for last week, but the wireless was so poor I had to use my own kit to extend the reach across my house, hence why I 'm using it in modem mode, 'mode mode' as u say. It also let me see if it was my own kit that was the issue with connection speeds, but it wasn't. Connection speeds with just the Virgin Modem for wifi and ethernet were just as bad if not worse.

Connection speeds are still very low. I've given up trying to watch anything online because iPlayer tells me I have insufficient bandwidth, which is not surprising since my download speeds average out about 5MB (but upload 17MB) on my 'up-to 150MB account'.

I'm starting to shop around to see if I can get a more reliable service. I've been with Virgin for a very long time with my telephone, TV & broadband x

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hiya davemarlow

Thanks for getting back in touch and I'm sorry for the late response.

I understand this can be annoying as the broadband speeds are low and not as they should be. I would like to help further and find the cause of this issue.

If you get chance can you please try another speed test without your equipment attached, having a direct connection to the Super Hub (leaving it in modem mode) and have your PC/laptop in Safe Mode with Networking? Try to post a screen shot of the results as well. This will eliminate other devices connected and any software issues on the PC/laptop.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

ed Re: Dropping connection from internet and slow download speeds

Hi Sam,

I've already tried testing my connection with just the Virgin modem. For a couple of days it was fine and then speeds dropped making it useless to watch BBC iPlayer. If u read my posts you'll see that I've tested with wi-fi and ethernet - both had slow speeds using just the Virgin Modem.

I then slowly reconnected my equipment to extent wifi across my home. Again OK for a couple of days then speeds drop to sub 10MB speeds for both wifi and ethernet connections.

New test this evening (09/10/16) attached, not exactly 150MB connection speeds. Me and the family couldn't watch anything online and resorted to TV.

Screenshot 2016-10-09 19.06.27.png

I never get compensation for such a poor level of service considering that I'm paying for a 150MB connection and rarely get 10MB. The virgin connection kept disconnecting (see screen pic for ref.) while trying to upload the images in this posting ; )

Screenshot 2016-10-09 19.28.51.png

USwitch site states that average speeds in my area are just (64MB see attached)... so why am I being promised a faster connection of up-to 150MB that cannot be achieved.  

Screenshot 2016-10-09 19.23.25.png

0 Kudos
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: ed Re: Dropping connection from internet and slow download speeds

New test just after my recent post... dire speeds again.... sub 3MB for a (up-to) 150MB Virgin Media account......

Screenshot 2016-10-09 19.37.43.pngScreenshot 2016-10-09 19.40.08.png

0 Kudos
davemarlow
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Instead of a flat Direct Debit rate every month maybe Virgin Media could introduce an account that truly reflected the broad band speed that they gave customers. What about a bill that was equal in pounds to the average MB connection speed after monthly analysis... my bill would be £2.40'ish a month.

You could call it Virgin True - Only Pay For What You Get

Just a thought...

x

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi davemarlow,

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate the tests you have completed so far. Are you still getting the same slow speeds? If so did you manage to try a speed test direct to the Super Hub and the PC/laptop using Safe Mode with Networking?

I've checked your connection again and the network segment is still running stable with no issues.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos