Menu
Scorpioking
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Drastic Speed Drops in WF13 3SR Area

Having endured Very Drastic Drops in Speed over the last 3 months something I have been lucky not to have encountered before in all my time with Virgin Media, it now would seem there is something very wrong with the Network within this area.

My speed should be D/Load 150 Mbps with an U/Load of 10 Mbps (Should be 15 Mbps on a 10% Ratio) yet over ALL the Christmas & New Year Period when I was trying to keep in contact with relatives in France & Australia via Skype & Hang-Out I suffered with speeds sometimes as low as 10-12 Mbps causing drop-outs & total loss of links more often than not. Then to cap it all some three weeks ago a new install was done next door which has put the speeds into Free Fall.

I cannot get a decent speed before 23.30hrs during the week or 01.30-02.00hrs at week-ends. Given that the street cabinet is only approx. 50mtrs from my house and on Fibre the obvious cause is congestion in the Cabinet given that it is built to take a maximum of 16 Taps & the last time I saw it(On next doors install) there were at least 24 Taps with Splitters then fitted with Boosters to try & compensate for signal downgrade. Even the Engineer said it was overloaded !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Given that I am paying a lot of money for my VirginMedia & only have Broadband & Phone(Not used as call charges are too high & I have a lot of free minutes on my mobile) I am wondering if any solutions are on the horizon to rectify these Congestion/Slow Speed Issues. 

Your advice on this issue would be appreciated.  Best Regards. 

Scorpioking

Dave. Scorpioking
0 Kudos
Grifftron
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Drastic Speed Drops in WF13 3SR Area

I'm have exactly the same issue as you mate, VM have told me to keep ringing up each month so they can give me a discount.  I would love a date when they are going to fix the issue.  BS11 area of Bristol.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scorpioking,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community and apologies for the issues you are experiencing with the broadband speeds.

I've taken a look at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. The power levels are within range, there are no faults reported and the traffic is running low.

If you are still having an issue with the speeds, can you complete speed tests whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? Then post a link/screenshot of the results.

It may be worth creating a Broadband Quality Monitor to check the performance of your connection. If you do set up the BQM make sure that you go into your router settings > Advanced Settings > Ping > and tick Respond to ICMP echo requests sent to WAN IP.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Scorpioking
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Many thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in getting back to you but on attempting to post a reply on Monday evening my speeds were again been decimated with congestion or there is a fault in the Cab since the next door install was done a few weeks ago  and my reply post was wiped out twice and as I had a early start on Tuesday morning I did not have the time to carry on any further.

I note your comments of the tests done on Monday 20th showing apparently that there were no problems on the Network.   Unfortunately this is not the true story as my next door neighbors were out all day and returned 17.30-18.00hrs so your test results are flawed in that as soon as demand is placed on the cabinet/Network I again suffer with these drastic drops in speed which is a very unsatisfactory situation.  As I have stated in my previous post this is as a result of congestion in the cab/network given that there are too many taps from the cab which is designed for a max. of 16 taps but yet when I saw in the cab on the install for next door there were approx 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with accompanying splitters and booster trying to compensate or there is equipment breakdown/failure when put under pressure/load .

I managed on Monday evening to do two Speedtests with the results:

1)Ookla 21.04hrs D/Load 23.27Mbps U/Load 10.25Mbps                                                                                                                         2)Speedtest.net 21.07hrs D/L 66.98Mbps U/L 10.27Mbps Ping/Latency 15

These sorts of speed and worse were apparent up to 00.30hrs Tues. On a weekend the time is well into 01.30/02.00hrs most times. Given the circumstances I think it would be justified to ask Networks or Engineering to investigate.

Thanks in anticipation of your assistance in this matter. Best Regards. Scorpioking. 

Dave. Scorpioking
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scorpioking,

I hope you don't mind me replying as Sam's not in right now. I have re-tested your connection and confirm Sam's findings - there is no congestion on your network segment, your Hub's power levels are optimal and the upstream segment is free from FEC's or dipped SNR.

Perhaps we need to arrange for an engineer visit?
Firstly though I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind:

• Are your slow speeds affecting wired or wireless devices?
  • Is any specific Internet activity affected (downloading, streaming, gaming etc)?
  • How many devices are affected?

Would you also please provide some speed test results from speedtest.net and post them on here?

Some from different times of the day, showing the different speeds obtained, would be useful.

Many thanks,

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are using VM wireless they are the basis for many a joke so please try hardwired to the superdud, if you are hardwired when testing and your happy that your equipment is not at fault then i wouldnt listen to the "theres nothing wrong on our side" rubbish they come out with on here, as it often turns out that it is very shortly when it gets logged/reported after many complainsand they look deeper.

0 Kudos
Scorpioking
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply, we meet again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As you can see from the time stamp 00.20hrs  on 1st March have just managed to get on line in last 30 minutes with any sort of speed. I will list below the answers to your questions but firstly as I've mentioned in previous posts your speed tests done are not showing any problems as they are been done when people are either out at work or as in the case of next door at school (All Four Children) so you are getting false figures.

1) Both Wired(Desktop etc) and WiFi(Laptops etc) are affected.                                                                                                                2) Downloading/Streaming(Skype etc)                                                                                                                                                          3) Any and All devices are been affected. 

As you say I have noted the power levels/SNR etc myself are at optimal levels when the speeds are unaffected. I'm not disputing the fact that you are getting good/excellent levels at your end it's just the timing of them. If you recall I have a great deal of experience in this field on these same Networks,Design,Engineering & Building so very rarely do I have problems which I cannot resolve myself. Given that this has been ongoing since Xmas and progressively got worse with classic congestion signs then the new install next door been the final nail in the coffin you will appreciate it's a bit much having to wait sometimes till 01.00-01.30hrs  especially weekends & school holidays to get decent download speeds. At the end of the day I'm not getting what I'm paying a princely sum of money for. I will take some Speedtest readings for a couple of days then send them on but I hope we are not going to get into long protracted, Nothings Wrong, Oh yes it is, scenarios that Virgin unfortunately have a habit of doing on so many occasions. Thanks for your response once once again and I will post shortly the Speedtest results. Thank you for your continued assistance.    Dave. Scorpioking

Dave. Scorpioking
0 Kudos
Scorpioking
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy1975,

I note your comments mate and I know what mean having had a lot of experience with this in the past, have a gander at my reply to Jen. I run everything Hardwired if I can as these Superhubs are not the best in WiFi design & Range to say the least but the majority are at least reliable.  Thanks for the heads up its appreciated mate and is always handy & helpful for the less experienced. Cheers for now.   Dave Scorpioking

Dave. Scorpioking
0 Kudos