Menu
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Downstream issues in Area 22 (NR5 - Norwich)

Hello,

Currently having issues is NR5 - Norwich with down speed fluctuating in the evenings from anywhere between 7Mbps to 35Mbps. This is worrying as i am on the Vivid 200 package and the power levels, noise and errors for my home hub are pretty stable. Anyone else having this issue?

Is this a overutilization issue? Do I need to call an engineer out? 

current router healthcurrent router health

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Downstream issues in Area 22 (NR5 - Norwich)

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nothing obviously amiss with the figures posted. I had to reject the network log screenshot as it contained your LAN IP which shouldn't be posted on here for privacy reasons.

If there is a major area issue it should be listed on the service status page: https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ModTeam Please can you ask somebody from the forum team to take a look at this thread as @The_Major has been patiently waiting over a week for a response and by posting again has inadvertently bumped this thread to the bottom of the forum team's list.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for the prompt Scott and your help.

Hello The_Major

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry we took a while to appear but we are quite busy. It does look like your peak time speed issue is down to high area traffic I am afraid. We are aware ref F004039356 and would like to carry out some upgrade work, the review date is currently showing 16 NOV 2016. Please accept our apologies and if you would be so kind as to wait a few days one of the forum team will be in contact to discuss further.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Scott (SCA1972),

Heres hoping this gets fixed quickly, i will of course leave it for a few days for a VM Team to respond only fair. This is only a recent problem for me i.e in the past month. I have been with Virgin media Vivid 200 package for 2 years now and never had any problems or experienced connection issues like this. I know during peak periods 4-11pm my down speed has reduced but normally only to about 50-80Mbps, and even then i didnt hinder my streaming or gaming online.

However this recent problem has seen my speeds drop it 7Mbps (at lowest) during the peak evening period and increase to about 30Mbps just after peak period.

I have since checked again this morning and afternoon and it is struggling to get above 50Mbps, starting to think there is either a) there is a big fault somewhere or b) it is the Superhub itself as it is 2 years old. I have tried with it in modem mode and with an Asus RT-AC68U router and still the above conditions exist so removes the router from the equation. 

Annoying the fact that to get this up to speeds you occasionally have to suffer pitiful speeds at £40pm, even i wanted this speeds i would of stayed with BT wholesale and god awful ASDL.   

Fingers crossed for a quick fix

0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Checked again this morning and just after midday, speed is still around 30Mbps with error increase in DS-2, starting to think it could be a router problem. Will await for VM team to get touch via forums.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If you are getting slow speeds at off peak times it sounds less like a utilisation issue and more like a line or hub fault. Is it the pre or post RS errors that are increasing? Pre errors isn't a cause for concern but post errors could be.

You could post the upstream figures and network log, while we wait for a staff response, and I'll see if anything looks untoward with them.

0 Kudos
Enigma667
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I would give it more time. As most of area 22 is down at the moment. I know Peterborough is which is in area 22
0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Scott,

As advised here are the most recent logs(downstream, upstream, and network) from my superhub, currently using the superhub in full router and have been since last night. Still slightly concerned about downstream channel DS-2.

downstream at 1434hrsdownstream at 1434hrsupstream at 1434hrsupstream at 1434hrs

0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Cheers Enigma667, good to hear (if you pardon expression) that i am not the only one having issues. Did have look at similar issues on the forums in my area, and the most recent ones of any similarity were back in July and January respectively. Heres hoping for a quick resolve.
0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

to add to above message just done a quick speed test using speedtest.net and using both Virgin Media servers in London and Basildon speed currently at 142Mbps/112Mpbs down and 12Mbps up for both respectively. There seems to be some recovery. Will check again during peak period tonight to see if i have the same issues as last night.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Nothing obviously amiss with the figures posted. I had to reject the network log screenshot as it contained your LAN IP which shouldn't be posted on here for privacy reasons.

If there is a major area issue it should be listed on the service status page: https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status