Menu
keithmac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Download capping?.

Hello, I'm on XL package in York with SuperHub.

Just downloading Fifa 16 to the Xbox one for sons Xmas present (22 gig).

It rattled up to 25%;and is now grinding to a halt, noticed the same when steaming videos etc.

Do virgin media employ data capping strategies?.

Not happy considering what we pay for our tivo, broadband and phone per month..
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Download capping?.

The downstream power levels are a bit too high at 10/11 dBmV. This could cause reliability problems and low speeds. You will need to book a tech to correct that.

The other stats look fine.

The acceptable range for downstream power is -6 dBmV to +10 dBmV. Ideally you want it at least 1 dBmV inside that, as your power levels will vary with temperature changes throughout the day.

During winter your downstream power levels will go up by about 3 dBmV, so you really want them around +6 dBmV and no higher at this time of year, ready to prepare for winter changes, so that they stay inside the range and you don't need to get another tech out in a few months.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 35 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It’s getting fixes over time. Probably should of delayed it’s release. I’m in the same boat as you wjth the 2ac. It’s working great but will be phased out eventually.

Just don’t break it. Getting a replacement is practically impossible now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Not familiar with which speed te XL package is, assuming it's 100Mbs? If so its not subject to download speed throttling. However this does not mean you are not effected by a fault slowing the service down. Couple of things to ask / look at before a VM forum rep comes along (usually takes around 1-2 days from your last post, however with the weekend coming up it may end up being Monday at the latest I would guess)

First off (I don't own an Xbox so forgive this question) is the Xbox connected wirelessly or is it wired to the router? If it's wireless, speeds tend to be lower than wired speeds so would always recommend hard wiring where possible.

Next up could you go to 192.168.0.1 on your web browser, DONT LOG IN, Instead go to the 'router status' button in the top right and hit that. On the next screen can you go into the 'downstream' 'upstream' and 'network log' sections and copy and paste all the data in those to this thread. Don't worry about formatting we can read it just fine. This is just to check you have nothing broken with your power levels which would effect your connection.

If your speeds are slow mainly during the evening, might be an idea to do big downloads like this overnight as if your area has problems with over utilisation then they usually drop off around midnight / 1am so you would get full speed after then.

On the upside, if it's a Christmas present, plenty of time to finish the download.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
keithmac
Tuning in
Message 3 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tips!, it's wired LAN to the superhub.

Managed to download one game tonight, 3 to go!.

Sometimes the service grinds to a halt, painfully slow.

Will try and post the logs up tomorrow, do most things on the phone now.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 35
Flag for a moderator

keithmac wrote:
Hello, I'm on XL package in York with SuperHub.

Just downloading Fifa 16 to the Xbox one for sons Xmas present (22 gig).

It rattled up to 25%;and is now grinding to a halt, noticed the same when steaming videos etc.
Gaming downloads may get interrupted if you lose your connection briefly. Make sure to monitor your connection health with a BQM graph: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
Video stream servers (e.g. youtube servers and others) often employ a system where they load (buffer) the first 30 seconds to a minute of video fast, then use short or long on-off cycles to load the rest.
The loading method often depends on the browser and video server the video is being played from/with. See figure 1 and table 1 here: http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2011/papers/1569470149.pdf

Try running some other download stream at the same time as you're having problems with the above.

Do virgin media employ data capping strategies?.

No. There are no data caps or downstream traffic management on 30Mbps and above packages.

Not happy considering what we pay for our tivo, broadband and phone per month..

You pay for a broadband pipe. It does not guarantee that the server at the other end of your connection will fill your pipe to its limit.

0 Kudos
keithmac
Tuning in
Message 5 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Hello again, managed to copy the logs. I have nothing in the Network Log?.

Downstream

homeRouter StatusDownstream

Downstream DS-1DS-2DS-3DS-4DS-5DS-6DS-7DS-8Frequency (Hz)202750000 HzLock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock)LockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedChannel ID1ModulationQAM256Symbol Rate (Msym/sec)6.952000Interleave DepthI=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17Power Level (dBmV)10.8 dBmV11.1 dBmV10.3 dBmV10.2 dBmV11.4 dBmV11.6 dBmV11.5 dBmV10.4 dBmVRxMER (dB)39.0 dB39.3 dB39.3 dB39.0 dB39.3 dB39.3 dB39.4 dB39.0 dB

Upstream

homeRouter StatusUpstream

Upstream US-1US-2US-3US-4Channel Type2.0Channel ID18Frequency (Hz)39400000 HzRanging StatusSuccessModulationQAM16Symbol Rate (Sym/sec)5120000Mini-Slot Size128Power Level (dBmV)37.8 dBmV40.3 dBmVT1 Timeouts0T2 Timeouts0T3 Timeouts0T4 Timeouts0

Does all this look OK?.

Thanks, Keith.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 35
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The downstream power levels are a bit too high at 10/11 dBmV. This could cause reliability problems and low speeds. You will need to book a tech to correct that.

The other stats look fine.

The acceptable range for downstream power is -6 dBmV to +10 dBmV. Ideally you want it at least 1 dBmV inside that, as your power levels will vary with temperature changes throughout the day.

During winter your downstream power levels will go up by about 3 dBmV, so you really want them around +6 dBmV and no higher at this time of year, ready to prepare for winter changes, so that they stay inside the range and you don't need to get another tech out in a few months.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 35
Flag for a moderator

keithmac wrote:
Hello again, managed to copy the logs. I have nothing in the Network Log?.

Do you have a Superhub 1? Are you running your hub in router mode (the default mode)?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 35
Flag for a moderator

keithmac wrote:
Upstream

Upstream US-1US-2US-3US-4Channel Type2.0Channel ID18Frequency (Hz)39400000 HzRanging StatusSuccessModulationQAM16Symbol Rate (Sym/sec)5120000Mini-Slot Size128Power Level (dBmV)37.8 dBmV40.3 dBmVT1 Timeouts0T2 Timeouts0T3 Timeouts0T4 Timeouts0

Does all this look OK?.

Thanks, Keith.

You have two sets of power readings (dBmV), but only one set of modulation (QAM16) and frequency? Looks like you only copied part of the upstream stats. Do you have both upstreams locked?

0 Kudos
keithmac
Tuning in
Message 9 of 35
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub

Sign In

Upstream

homeRouter StatusUpstream

It says Quam16 for both Upstream 1 and Upstream 2 on the router page?.

I recieved the Superhub in a box, set up my wireless network and left it at that, how do I know its in Modem Mode?.

What fault should I report about the excess votage and where would they adjust it?.

Thanks for the help by the way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 35
Flag for a moderator

keithmac wrote:

It says Quam16 for both Upstream 1 and Upstream 2 on the router page?.
Thanks, that's fine.

I recieved the Superhub in a box, set up my wireless network and left it at that, how do I know its in Modem Mode?.
Then you're in router mode. Modem mode has to be manually enabled.
Can you post the contents of the Information page found here: http://192.168.0.1/RouterStatus.html

What fault should I report about the excess votage and where would they adjust it?.
Technical support would be able to read your modem stats from their end and realise that your power levels are slightly out-of-whack. Then arrange a tech visit. To avoid you going round in circles with offshore (Indian) non-tech-support I would advise you waiting until Monday/Tuesday and the VM Forum Team here will pick this up and arrange a tech for you.

Thanks for the help by the way.

No problem.

0 Kudos