Menu
COOKIE1799
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Download Speed Issues

Hello,
I'm having some trouble with my internet speeds. On my desktop PC my download speed is much slower than it should be but my upload speed is about right. I'm using a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 PCIe wireless card. The drivers for this are up to date and I'm positive the card isn't the issue.
Here is a link to a speedtest result: www.speedtest.net/my-result/6049459017 The package I'm on is Fibre 70 so as you can tell the upload speed is about right but the download is way too low.
My PC is the only device having this issue. All other devices are running well as you can see: www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/1974608323

Help would be massively appreciated!
Thanks
-Cookie

P.S. Here's a twitter conversation I had with Virgin if it is of any use virginmedia.response.lithium.com/portal/conversation/9548186

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Download Speed Issues

As you say, the wireless adapter should not be the problem as it should be well cabable of 70Mbps.

What hub do you have?

Are you connecting using the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band?

The 5Ghz band should provide the best speeds at close range.

How far is the PC from the hub?

How many obstacles are between the hub and PC?

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer should help choosing the best wireless channel and will give you the signal strength which could proove useful.

0 Kudos
COOKIE1799
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply!

I have the EuroDOCSIS 3.0
I'm connecting on the 2.4GHz band due to the distance from the hub.
The Hub is at the opposite side of the house but I don't think the distance is the issue as the upload speed is still at peak and the wireless card should be able to easily cope with the distance.
In terms of obstacles there are just various rooms/ walls. Nothing in particular.
I've downloaded the scanner but I don't understand it so you may have to guide me.

Thank you
-Cookie

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The upload speed is still lower than the download speed and is being restricted by your internet package and not your wireless environment. Don't forget that wireless is a two way street and the hub's wireless capabilities will also play a part.

What SH do you have? (The model should be printed on the hub)

You can take a screenshot of the InSSIDer graph and post it so we can take a look and offer you further advice.

0 Kudos
COOKIE1799
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's not my package as 5mbps is approximately what's expected from the package. The download should be around 70mbps, that is the only one that is lower. On other devices on both bands I am getting over 50mbps download.
I have the Super Hub 3.0 (EuroDOCSIS 3.0).

168b44400f984d75bc9e5a8f3ec6fef8.pngd8f46c18d41b4b1486b2fea41bd1311f.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The signal you are recieving to that device is so low. It may as well be background noise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
COOKIE1799
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So I'm basically too far from the hub?

EDIT: Why is download so greatly reduced but upload is not?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That is a very poor wireless signal strength which would suggest that distance / obstacles is definitely a major factor. You are not even picking up the 5Ghz signal which is not suprising considering the 5Ghz band has a shorter range. Your Link score is 20 which is poor, changing channel to 1 or 6 might improve it a bit, but I wouldn't expect much of a speed increase.

The speed you are getting is consistent with that wireless signal strength considering you are on the same channel as 6 other wireless networks which you will be sharing airtime with.

As I explained before, the upload speed is being restricted by your package, not the wireless environment. If the wireless environment can support 8Mbps download it can support 8Mbps upload.

Are the other devices closer to the hub? As I said, wireless speeds are heavily dependent on range.

Are there less obstacles between the other devices and the hub.

0 Kudos