Menu
Farhana
Superfast
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Does every customer suffer high utilisation?

So many people complaining from so many different area references. Is this a nationwide problem faced by most Virgin customers or is it just that people only come here to complain about speed (thus amplifying the issue)? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does every customer suffer high utilisation?

No, not every customer, but it's a sizeable minority.

In addition, customer services give out mixed messages about "fix" and "review" dates — one team says one thing, the other something else. Review dates are pushed back over and over again, with nothing changing from the customers perspective. You're promised regular updates, but get none. I should be getting text messages updating me on the "work" on my fault. I guess tea and biscuits in the "review" meeting doesn't count because number of texts received = 0.

Utilisation problems can last over 2 years before being "fixed" and there's no guarantee how long it will last — 3 months the last "fix" lasted in my area lasted (which fitted it nicely with the Uni students' summer break).

It takes a week (!) to get a response on the forum from VM — it takes BT a day their forum.

Finally, VM are economical with the truth (compared to BT) about how broadband might be performing in your area. Bearing in mind you have to give your postcode and there's been a VM fault in my area since October 2015, this is what they say:

BT: "BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

VM: "Great news! You can get Virgin Media"

And before anyone points out cabinet space in relation to BT ... capacity is capacity. Doesn't matter whether or not it's physical (in the cabinet) or virtual (in a cable). If there's no capacity, there's no capacity.

If you have utilisation problems it's because VM have over subscribed customers in your area and they can no longer deliver an acceptable level of service at peak times. You can forget doing a lot of things that many other people take for granted, such as streaming Netflix etc, or at its extreme even simple browsing the Internet. And you can forget about it for a long time ... possibly the entire duration of your contract with VM.

So, no not every customer suffers from utilisation problems. A lot are probably unaware (I don't see many complaints from my neighbours on here — they're all on VM — doesn't mean they're unaffected), but if you are affected it's for the long haul and it's a long and frustrating journey to any kind of resolution.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

no
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just like any other product.

Anyone with a poor service complains - and so they should, it's not acceptable!

But the thousands of people with a good service are too busy using it to post about their experience.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No problems at all here.

I was on 50Mbps service for about a week and was getting 55Mbps speeds 24/7.  I've now upgraded to their 100Mbps service and getting 110Mbps speeds 24/7.  I couldn't be happier.  Long may it continue...

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
iantommo123
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No probs here not bad for Saturday at nearly 11PM Smiley Happy ,happy as Larry infact

6103410289.png

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

we are happy with our service. a few on here have problems with their tvo box, ie slow. our box has always been lightening quick through all the menus. internet speed, no problems.

as jpeg1 says it is generally only those that have an issue that come on here. if you have no problems, coming on here would not even enter your mind. i come on here to maybe help with any queries or keep abreast of things generally.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No, not every customer, but it's a sizeable minority.

In addition, customer services give out mixed messages about "fix" and "review" dates — one team says one thing, the other something else. Review dates are pushed back over and over again, with nothing changing from the customers perspective. You're promised regular updates, but get none. I should be getting text messages updating me on the "work" on my fault. I guess tea and biscuits in the "review" meeting doesn't count because number of texts received = 0.

Utilisation problems can last over 2 years before being "fixed" and there's no guarantee how long it will last — 3 months the last "fix" lasted in my area lasted (which fitted it nicely with the Uni students' summer break).

It takes a week (!) to get a response on the forum from VM — it takes BT a day their forum.

Finally, VM are economical with the truth (compared to BT) about how broadband might be performing in your area. Bearing in mind you have to give your postcode and there's been a VM fault in my area since October 2015, this is what they say:

BT: "BT Infinity is available in your area but due to a high demand there is currently no capacity left at your local cabinet. There will be a waiting period until we can activate the service."

VM: "Great news! You can get Virgin Media"

And before anyone points out cabinet space in relation to BT ... capacity is capacity. Doesn't matter whether or not it's physical (in the cabinet) or virtual (in a cable). If there's no capacity, there's no capacity.

If you have utilisation problems it's because VM have over subscribed customers in your area and they can no longer deliver an acceptable level of service at peak times. You can forget doing a lot of things that many other people take for granted, such as streaming Netflix etc, or at its extreme even simple browsing the Internet. And you can forget about it for a long time ... possibly the entire duration of your contract with VM.

So, no not every customer suffers from utilisation problems. A lot are probably unaware (I don't see many complaints from my neighbours on here — they're all on VM — doesn't mean they're unaffected), but if you are affected it's for the long haul and it's a long and frustrating journey to any kind of resolution.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well put, JPL8.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
lynyona
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've just been checking out BT Broadband unfortunately Infinity isn't in my area ,the only one in my area  is standard broadband 19mb and they say the most id get is a constant speed of 6mb a bigger difference but if you went on the same difference on VM from supposedly 200mb a gigantic difference . But I'm sure someone will tell me it doesn't work like that .Yes I know the bumph geographical, how many other providers in your area,  the way your house is set out , what elements within your house interfere with it ,where your router is placed., your computers not good there's to many devices connected...blah blah .and so it goes. For the amount of internet I use I could gladly do away with it because I begrudge every penny I pay out  but I think my gamers and netflixers would disagree with me.

0 Kudos
fireburst
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well put. My area "review date" has been moved from 28th Dec to 1st March and now to 1st June... its an absolute joke. I get faster internet via 4G on my phone than on my "200mb vivid" connection.
0 Kudos