Menu
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Does Business Broadband Suffer from Utilisation?

I have been speaking with your Business broadband team via email and they seem to guarantee me that business broadband users are put above home subscribers on the network so no slowdown at peak time due to congestion in the area. 

I am more than happy to pay extra to go business but would like the mod team to confirm or someone who has more knowledge on this matter as it would be a waste of both of our times because id just have to leave completely.

However if your sales team are telling porkies then that is insane you would sell to a business customer knowing it will come to a crawl.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
blurredvision
Tuning in
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does Business Broadband Suffer from Utilisation?

Yes it does big time.

I've been a business broadband customer for years and this is how it's been performing for months!

Speed Test.png

All Replies
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

A very interesting question!

And of course it has a corollory - if indeed a residential user such as you switches to business and sees an immediate improvement (with no re-pull's etc taking place), then do all the other residential users who are currently sharing the same bottleneck suffer a tiny bit more as a consequence?

Looking forward to informed answers.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Not 100% sure on if they prioritise traffic to business users, but they have better SLAs to get things fixed if they go wrong at least.

If they do prioritise traffic and a residential user suffering from contention was to get full speed, everyone else in the locality would get worse speeds as a result though, that much I can answer. It all still comes down through the same wires and same hardware with its finite bandwidth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I could try it I mean, if it does drop in the evenings I can leave as they would be breaching the SLA anyway, plus I already plan to leave either way as the residential connection is useless to me in its current state.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well i have been searching around the forum and look what i found: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/12-months-of-VM-Business-Over-Utilisation-and-no-fix-in-s...

A Business user also suffering from Utilisation?? shameful they were willing to sell it to me as i posed as a new customer to the sales team & they were just willing to sign me up no problem. 

Wow

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Regarding the Business Broadband SLA - have you read it? http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/PageFiles/4973/Business-Broadband-SLA.pdf

All it says is that they will aim to get your service up and running within 24 hours, and the only actual commitment AFAICS is to escalate internally if this aim is not achieved.

I have often wondered if there's a real business broadband SLA hidden away somewhere for those who want (and are willing to pay for) something worth more than the paper its written on.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Well the sales team seem keen on selling it to me even though i told them i will just cancel if i don't get the speed.

Probably just going to switch provider now because that is just crazy.

0 Kudos
alanwardrop
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've just re-read the SLA document again, and I have to say that I think it is quite misleading in a number of ways.

In particular

1) it defines various impressive sounding terms ("Availability", "Outage Time", "Restoration" etc etc), which are completely irrelevant to the SLA for cable services, as they not referred to in any meaningful context.

2) There is a heading: "What Do the Terms Mean, What is Not Covered by This SLA, Claiming Service Credits and Our Liability to You, Planned Outages and How to Report a Fault". This appears to be an attempt to suggest to the reader that circumstances exist in which he or she will be able to claim service credits (the normal remedy for breach of agreed service levels set out in an SLA). However, a little further down we find, under "Exclusions" "We will not be liable to pay Service Credits." 

Whether or not there has been a deliberate attempt to mislead readers into thinking that this document promises more than it does, I for one find this kind of poor drafting appalling.

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I read that as "We've got you by the short and curlies, if things go wrong.". Smiley Wink

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have decided not to sign up for it as by looking through various cable forums it seems it would not matter if they prioritise traffic as the segment is still overloaded and will slow to a crawl at peak times.

Shameful they would be willing to sell it to me knowing possibly an entire office could need to use it.

0 Kudos