Menu
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Diabolical speeds on 150mbps BEDFORD

I am on the 150mbps service and am getting around 20-30mbps download.Ping is between 4-8 and DL is 10mbps - Speeds are the same regardless of being on Wifi or on wired.

I made a call to VM on 1st March as it had been ongoing for a few days before. I spoke to "Christine" who couldn't fit my issue and said she would get the escalated to the engineer and would call me back at a specific time on the 2nd. I never had the call.

I also chased this via VM on Twitter which was next to no good.

So I have just spoken to "Chetan" who could not see what the problem is and has now booked an engineer for tomorrow. I'm not confident that an engineer will arrive.

So in the meantime can one of the Support team please explain what the reasons are for such slow speed, when the DL  and PING are normal?

glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Diabolical speeds on 150mbps BEDFORD

Should read:
explain what the reasons are for such slow speed, when the Upload and PING are normal?
0 Kudos
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Area 24: Bedford on the VIVID 150 Service 

I have had slow speed since the planned works in Mid February. I received a letter stating that there were to be planned improvements around the 13th Feb.

Since then my download speeds have been way off what they should be. Historically I've been bang on 150mbps without fluctuation (give or take 20MB in busy times)

Average 20-50mbps download
Ping - always under 10ms
Upload consistently at 10mbps

Speedtest logs in csv format can be downloaded from my drop box

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkorbaheidw815k/Glenn%20Kelly%20Speedtest.csv?dl=0

I phoned support last Wednesday 1st March and spoke to "Christine" who said she couldn't fix the issue but will speak to the network team as she believed there was a network issue. She promised me a call back the next day. I never got the call.

On Sunday 6th March I phoned again, and there was apparently no record of a call back on the notes. I spoke with Chetan who couldn't see any issues.
He arranged for an engineer to come out today.

Istvan (tech ID 13882) and his Service Check sheet has been left as "Still slow speed from Headend"

He seems to think that there is a Network issue at the Headend in Luton as the customers he saw before me have the same issue. He spoke to another engineer and then said that there is nothing he can do but for me to wait and see if the issue at the Headend clears within 1-2 weeks. I asked if there was a ticket for the issue and he said no.

I also searched the Community and see other people in Area 24 having the same issue

Why can't VM admit there is a problem and fix it?

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 19.28.37.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-06 at 19.21.12.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-05 at 16.24.37.jpg

0 Kudos
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Area 24: We're all connected to the headend in Luton but each area, e.g. Bedford, Kempston, Biggleswade, etc are all separate nodes and independent of each other. Maybe Bedford is suffering from over utilisation?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi glennkelly,

Apologies for your slow speed problems. I have tested your connection thoroughly and the downstream congestion is a little on the high side, though not yet breaching thresholds and the upstreams are fine.

I can find no other issues, with SNR or Hub power levels etc. Would you mind doing the following please:

• Run a couple of speed tests (via speedtest.net using the default servers) and post the results on here.
  • Run a couple of speed tests via thinkbroadband.com
  • Set up a BQM and post the output on here.

I'm not disputing the fact that there is a problem, but I need some data to show what's happening, if we can get it.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
dandandan
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Im in the same Area having the same problem

Rang VM today and they've booked me an engineer and also got told that there is damaged wires in the Bedford Area which will be fixed on the 14th March

Thanks for making the thread glennkelly

glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me Jen, much appreciated.

attached are the speedtest for today

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 16.35.07.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-07 at 16.42.22.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-07 at 16.44.47.jpg

0 Kudos
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Interesting:

http://thinkbroadband.com/news/7656-speed-problems-for-virgin-media-users-to-some-destinations.html

"Having reviewed some network data samples this does not appear to be an issue affecting all of our customers. This could be related to specific network equipment we but are currently investigating this further to determine the exact cause and solution. We apologise to any customers affected and hope to have this fixed soon."

Comment from Virgin Media spokesperson

0 Kudos
glennkelly
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 16.59.14.jpg

0 Kudos