Menu
Liam18
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Device slow on 2.4ghz

All the devices connected on2.4ghz is really slow also high ping and not getting the speed I am supposed to get where as 5ghz but normally it is balanced out is it not or is it always like this?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Device slow on 2.4ghz

The 2.4GHz band is narrow and can only support 3 non overlapping wireless channels whilst the 5Ghz band is wider supporting 19 non overlapping channel allthough the higher channels are subject to TPC and DFS restrictions.

Using two wireless channels bonded together to double the throughput is usually inadvisable as it takes up effectively 2/3rds of the available spectrum making the wireless signal prone to interference from neighbouring WiFi networks. There are also a host of domestic appliances such as A\V streaming devices, Chordless phones, Baby Monitors. Microwave Ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems, Wireless controllers, Security Systems etc. etc. that can interfer with the 2.4Ghz band. And it is going to get worse when Ofcom sell off the 2.3Ghz band.

Using channel bonding to increase throughput on the wider 5Ghz band is far less problematic as channels do not overlap and interfer with each other.

For faster wireless you need to use MIMO clients that can double the speed by using two wireless streams per wireless channel.

The 5Ghz only AC standard usually provides the best speeds as it can bond 8 wireless channels to increase throughput. No prizes for guessing why it is 5Ghz only Smiley Happy

The new AD standard is starting to rear it's ugly head, working on the 60Ghz band and are insane offering a top theoretical speed of 7Gbs

Liam18
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ok thanks if I am supposed to get 200mpbs what would I get on 2.4ghz because I thought I would just get the same speed jw what speed would I get on 2.4ghz?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wireless speeds depend heavily on many factors like Range, Client hardware, the topography of your home and the big killer Interference from neighbouring WiFi networks and domestic appliances. The positioning of the hub and wireless clients can be crucial There are so many variables it is impossible to say what speeds you will get.

A wireless channel can carry 72Mbps theoretical speed (Link speed), however, due to the way wireless works and overheads real world speeds will be around 40 - 50Mbps.

So, if you have a single stream wireless client (1 antenna) then that will be your top speed per wireless channel.

Bonding two wireless channels together to form a 40Mhz wide channel will give 150Mbps link speed about 75 to 90 Mbps real world speed. As I said before using this mode on the 2.4Ghz band could decrease the speed depending how congested your 2.4Ghz environment is. Due to the popularity of wireless devices nowadays it is very unusual to have a clean wireless environment.

Here a wireless scanner like InSSIDer comes it useful, by showing what neigbouring wireless networks are around you bearing in mind it will not show interference from domestic appliances. A little experimentation may prove fruitful.

If you have a MIMO wireless client that can use two wireless streams (2 or more antennae) then you can double the speed . The hub can support 2 wireless streams on the 2.4Ghz band.

The 5Ghz band is wider so channel bonding is less problematic allthough it does have a shorter range than the 2.4Ghz bands, so speeds will drop off faster the further away from the router. So, you should get around 75 to 90Mbps on a single stream device and double that with a 2 stream MIMO device at close range in a clean wireless environment. The hub supports three wireless stream on the 5Ghz band.

The wireless AC standard can support a theoreticall speed of 433Mbps at close range. So, 200Mbps should be achievable at close range. An AC MIMo device should extend the range that 200Mbps is attainable.

In short you will not get 200Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band, To attain 200Mbps you need a wirelwess AC hub and client.

0 Kudos