Menu
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Decided to return.. (Wish I had not)

Hi VM,

So I decided to come back to you and take the full house bundle. 

Let me just say that FINALLY you have a dam good TV service and I LOVE the new Tivo - really well done. I'm being sincere here. It's fantastic!

But the broadband is still pathetic. Struggling to get more than 40mbps at the moment any time of the day or night. The engineer did sort out the outside box which was a mess but still - should be able to get more than this - right? 

I am only 6 days into my install and I don't want to cancel but if this is the best speed I am going to get I will stop the cease of my current 80/20 FTTC line and cancel you within the 14 days.

Can you please run your tests and see what it says? At my end "everything is rosey" apparently.

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Decided to return.. (Wish I had not)

40Mb at any time of the day/night points to a hardware limit. Are you using WiFi or wired? 40Mb is a common limit on WiFi devices that only support 54Mbps.

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Well the same hardware could max out my 80mbps line constant 74mbps - It's an Imac with GB and has happily handled the 300 homeworks in the past when it worked around here. 

I'm on Ethernet. 

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Tested using ST.net and TBB as well as Steam downloads, and multi. We all know single threads are a waste of time on VM

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Is this something VM do? Ignore the customer until after their 14 days, then tell people it's a congestion problem with a fix date on 2030?

Kinda feels that way! Luckily i'm on the ball and will cancel on day 13 if no one has bothered to address me here.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is a almost 2 week queue time for a response on the forum at the moment due to the volume of posts needing a reply.

They work from oldest post order so yours will not be answered any time soon. If you need a quicker response you have to ring up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I will be doing that, and then probably cancelling as well in the same call.

I've just done a speed test to their OWN servers and wow... 540kbps down. 4.65Mbps up

Yes - you DID see that right. 

Although I did get a whopping 61mbps... at 5:45am today.. 

The BT line VM was meant to replace is still rocking a solid 74mbps 24/7 I am seriously wondering if leaving BT for a few quid a month is worth it. Considering it's actually £3 a month less than VM.. 

Granted I have the TV, over rated anyway IMO

0 Kudos
Jeza
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The BT line VM was meant to replace is still rocking a solid 74mbps 24/7 I am seriously wondering if leaving BT for a few quid a month is worth it. Considering it's actually £3 a month less than VM.. 

I think you have answered your own question there. If you are happy with the TV and are also happy to live with the broadband connection you have right now for, well who knows hows long, then stay right where you are Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
pcov76
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Indeed,

You say " for how ever long" - and I know what you are saying, VM will do GB speeds by 2018 etc, but come ON - GB speeds mean jack when you can't even get what they offer now. Should it actually clear up and they actually CAN in the future maybe I will return. But right now yes, in my area and for me personally BT beats VM hands down.

And besides, if I need that extra bit of juice I just line bond, Forgot to mention. I actually have 2 FTTC lines at 80/20. So on the grand scheme of things, no great loss. I might "only" be able to get around 140mbps when i do - but at least I do. 

Thanks for the replies also, it's a shame it's customers have to do what VM fail to  - maybe they should stop giving people Player packages for £15 all in , and employ some more staff. Just a radical thought VM

0 Kudos