Menu
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Decided to keep Virgin Media when changed address - mistake?

I recently changed address and decided to stay with Virgin Media - Mistake?  After upgrading my service to 200mb broadband, I have not managed to get higher than 80mb!  Worse than my 120+ I was getting with my 150mb Service at my old address. Several phone calls/remote support sessions later, no fix in sight.  How log will this go on?  Service Status in "My Virgin Media" never shows there is a problem in this area even though the engineers I speak to say there is.  Beginning to wonder if I should cancel this agreement as Virgin Media are not keeping to their side of the agreement.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Decided to keep Virgin Media when changed address - mistake?

Hello andrewraf

Welcome to our forum, apologies for the slow peak time speeds, we do have some high traffic in your area. We are aware ref F004261508 and would like to carry our some upgrade work. Currently the estimated date is showing 24 AUG 2016. Please hang on for a few days and one of the forum team will be in contact to discuss further.

Interesting you never get more than 80Mbps even outside of peak times, if you are testing with an Ethernet connection please make sure that the LED by the Ethernet port on the hub is lit up green as this means your NIC has negotiated a 1Gbps connection and not a 100Mbps one.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi andrewraf

I feel sorry for anyone who signs up to VM. Especially if you have had decent service in the past. You are right, Service Status in "My Virgin Media" never shows there is a problem as 'technically' there isn't one. They will certainly not tell you that 'there is high demand in the area and you most probably will not get the service you are paying for during the evening and weekends'. If you saw that, it is highly likely that you would not sign up.

As usual, there are apologies for the slow peak time speeds and you have been given fault ref F004261508 which you can use to claim the loss of service credit. The credit is payable every month that you experience the loss of service (broadband speed). You have been told an estimated date of 24 AUG 2016. Note this is a review date and not a FIX date.

It is also interesting that the team say "we would like to carry our some upgrade work".  I am sure that EVERY CUSTOMER that is suffering from this abysmal service would like you to carry out some upgrade work! How about actually getting on with it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I thought I would just add, I am myself a Network Engineer working for a local College.  So I am aware of what the devices are and what they should be doing etc.

0 Kudos
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just thought I would add an update this evening, I am now down to 5mb Broadband speed according to speedtest.net.......
0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With reference to your original post. If you can get out of your contract without penalties, maybe that would be the best option.

Note that SKY allow their customers to leave a contract without penalty within three months of your service activating if your speed issues cannot be resolved to a satisfactory standard, in accordance with Ofcom's Voluntary Code of Practice on Broadband Speeds.

Would you believe me if I said Virgin Media have signed up to the same Codes of Practice? But I bet they won't offer you the same courtesy.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
Highlighted
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This evening, we are down to 3mb.... great service!

0 Kudos
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Another update, this evening we are at 5MB download and 12MB upload..........

0 Kudos
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just another update, still receive this poor service!  Also Virgin Media did release me from the contract.. 

0 Kudos
andrewraf
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just another update, over a year later, still dismal Broadband service (released from contract last year).   Virgin Media do however provide periodically small refunds to my account, but still charge me for the `up-to 200mb service` that actually remains between 5mb and 20mb depending on the time of day....

Watchdog!   Two weeks running now, Watchdog have been investigating... interesting that the problem is nation-wide not just some areas.

0 Kudos