Menu
SpaceCadet
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dead slow broadband download speed in the Epsom area

I am on the 200Mb service but, at peak times, most often see about 6Mb or less as the download speed. Today, however, it is less than 2Mb. I have been told before that there are known contention issues in the Epsom area but this has now gone on for months and is becoming worse. The download speeds from about 4pm - midnight (peak times) are atrocious and, at times, unusable for streaming.  Certainly useless if streaming to more than one device.  Nothing is mentioned on the service status page.  I contacted VM to be told that, unless the service is out, it won't be on the status page.  So 2Mb when it ought to be 200Mb does not seem to qualify as the service being out.  Others I know in the area are experiencing the same issue.  Really, Virgin ought to get this sorted out.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dead slow broadband download speed in the Epsom area

Hi SpaceCadet,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003954133). Our technicians are working to get this resolved and have set a review date of 12th April.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update but about 2 months ago I was verbally told a review date of around end January. The review dates seem to keep moving and theses issues have now been going on for many months in my area. The review date you mention is now to be in April! Really, this a ludicrously long time and it may not even be better then.

I measured the speeds tonight and it's 8 down and 10 up. I pay for 200 down. After midnight, I am pretty sure that I will see 200 again.

Really, these speeds at peak times are extraordinarily poor. No mention of any of this on the 'Service Status' page. Why not?

What else is Virgin planning to do in the interim, as well as to bring forward the date when this is properly fixed, ie not only a 'review date'?
0 Kudos
greyman
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey Josh, 

Your post has raised a couple of questions.  Do your technicians actually start work on resolving the issues before the allotted "review date" and therefore, is there a chance that the issues will be solved before the review date comes around?

If the answer to the above is yes, then that would certainly change my current understanding that the review date signals the start of your technicians making a start.

thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

greyman wrote:

Hey Josh, 

Your post has raised a couple of questions.  Do your technicians actually start work on resolving the issues before the allotted "review date" and therefore, is there a chance that the issues will be solved before the review date comes around?

If the answer to the above is yes, then that would certainly change my current understanding that the review date signals the start of your technicians making a start.

thanks

Get a look around the forums, you'll see plenty of posts explaining overutilisation/review dates, but for conciseness, Ill summarise for you.

When a network segment is flagged as overutilised, there are several remedial measures that VM will put in place- anything from adding additional channels, to upgrading the CMTS to a complete CATV re-segment. Each review date signals a step in that process.

So whilst the process is long and painful, and anyone affected would usually be better jumping ship, no the VM engineers are not sitting round drinking tea, waiting for the next review date to actually do something.

Hope that clarifies things for you....

greyman
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

For a start, i wouldn't dream of assuming what the engineers drink and i don't recall my email suggesting that I had any problem with the engineers, regardless of their choice of beverage.  Given the apparent issues that currently exist on the network, i am sure that they have plenty to do.

From the explanations that I have seen, the review date, constantly stated as not to be confused with a fix date, has been described as the date when the engineers next be looking at the part of the network in question, to check what can be done to address any issues, as the word "review" would suggest.

What I hadn't seen, up until Josh's post, and it is possible that i have missed it among the plethora of mentions of "review date", was any suggestion that the engineers would be working on that bit of the network, prior to the associated review date as well as working on follow-ups to reviews of other parts of the network.

If you know that to be the case, then that is one of my questions answered and thank you for that, but as to my second question, does this mean that the problem could be solved prior to the review date or not?  

Thanks again for your very helpful answer.....

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I too wondered this. Josh, what does 'review date' mean? It is not at all clear.

Customers require clear answers as to when the area's issues will be fixed and what Virgin Media is to do, in terms of customer service, about the area's low peak time download speeds in the interim?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

A review date is where SOME works have been undertaken, and it gets looked at again to see if overutilisation thresholds are still being breached. If not, its fixed, if they are still too high, back for the next stage of works.

So as a review date should be a bit AFTER works have been completed it IS possible a fault number is resolved before it is acknowledged as closed.

Its also perfectly possible for overutilisation to breach thresholds, adding additional channels cures it, the fault get closed and it reappears again when more accounts are added to the segment, or usage patterns change.

The "problem" i.e the fundamental issue why VM are playing "whack-a-mole" with overutilisation is complex. Increased streaming, larger file sizes and overselling, combined with years of under investment by the cable companies VM swallowed up rather than letting go to the wall all have a part to play.

My own personal view is bringing back proper traffic management would solve most of the issues overnight. However the problem of over-subscription  in dense urban conurbations would remain.  To some extent the market is rebalancing after BT have finally rolled out decent speeds to a lot of areas.

cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

greyman wrote:

If you know that to be the case, then that is one of my questions answered and thank you for that, but as to my second question, does this mean that the problem could be solved prior to the review date or not?  

Thanks again for your very helpful answer.....

Faults are usually solved shortly before a review date.. but not necessarily the next review date. 

for example, a fault in my area which began in January 2015 had about 12 different review dates over a 23 month period. The fault was eventually fixed on 20th December, just prior to the next scheduled review date (28th December).

0 Kudos
SpaceCadet
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Well, speeds of usually 5-10Mb from about 5pm - midnight, for the past months, suggests that this requires more drastic action than suggested above.

Last night I measured 8-10Mb until 12.45pm when it suddenly leaped to 220Mb. I have seen this on many other nights.

If it were gas, electricity or water this would cause a major crisis, corporate actions, and refunds. Here, we have 'reviews' and no refunds unless specifically requested, which I did once. That lasted for 2 months with no service improvement afterwards.

As Virgin Media has stated here and elsewhere, it is a known issue in the area. This should trigger automatic refunds and emailed services updates to all those affected in the area and until the issue is resolved. The Service Status should also reflect reality. None of these should have to be requested by each customer.

At present it is a systematic breach of terms. We pay for 200Mb but almost always receive about 10Mb in the evenings. The corporate Virgin Media has a contractual responsibility to address this in a timely manner.
0 Kudos