Menu
Jeza
Dialled in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

DY6 Slow Peak Time Speeds

Hi Guys,

Could you take a look at my connection please at your end as I'm getting quite a significant slow down during peak time. Speeds are fine off peak, can hit 200meg no problem, but 8-10pm this can drop to 15meg download. I've also had the SH2 dropping offline as well over the last week or so occasionally, so suspect there could be some upstream noise floating around too.

Signal levels are fine here, as you'll see. My thinkbroadband monitor is showing some packet loss every day now at peak time, this is also showing on my Sam Knows test box too.

Cheers :-)

jmsgrime
Joining in
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: DY6 Slow Peak Time Speeds

I've been getting the exact same issues, occasionally dropping out completely and last 3-4 days my download speed has dropped to under 7mbps from late evening to as late as 11am the following day. I've spoken to support and they said to contact them while the problem is active, which I can't do as they finish work at 8pm...

0 Kudos
jeza1
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin staff here are good, they will take a day or two to get back to you, but they will be able to see what is going on from their end, and from experience are far more clued up that phone support :-)

jmsgrime
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ah good, thanks for the reply. I contacted them via phone, twitter and chat service but nobody was able to offer a working solution, hopefully someone here can check the issue while it is active. My current speed is 3.2mbps which is almost unusable- no chance of watching YouTube videos or playing video games with my friends whenever this happens.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jeza

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you back.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds during peak hours. 

Looking at your connection, there are no faults reported and there is no high traffic during peak hours. I am unable to see any issues on the network that would cause your broadband speeds to be slow.

Are more devices in use during the evenings at all?

I can see that you are using the Super Hub is modem mode. Are you able to complete a speed test direct from the Super Hub, disconnecting your own equipment, the next time you notice the speeds drop please.

Can you also set up a Broadband Quality Monitor please for us to have a look.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jeza
Dialled in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

I do have a think broadband monitor already setup, please see below some images. There is packet loss every day at peak time creeping in as can be seen on the thinkbroadband and also sam knows charts, this has been happening for a good while now. I have shown some results for certain days below which show outages, so if you could check to see what was happening on these days and times that would be great, as this last week seems to have been ok, so far.

As you'll see from the speedtest.net result, i can easily hit full speed though my kit off peak, the router i have here is an Asus RT-AC56U so plenty of throughput there and there are the same amount of devices connected pretty much all the time. The only wireless kit here is a couple of mobile phones, everything else is hardwired. I will get a speed test wired direct to the SH for you as requested. 

Thanks Jez

12/8/1612/8/1615/8/1615/8/1616/8/1616/8/1617/8/1617/8/1621/8/1621/8/16

25-8-1625-8-1628-8-1628-8-1628-8-1628-8-1615-17/8/16 downstream jitter15-17/8/16 downstream jitter15-17/8/16 download speed15-17/8/16 download speed15-17/8/16 udp packet loss15-17/8/16 udp packet loss26-28/8/16 packet loss26-28/8/16 packet loss28/8/16 7 day packet loss28/8/16 7 day packet loss28/8/16 7 day download speed28/8/16 7 day download speed28/8/16 2 days28/8/16 2 days

0 Kudos
Jeza
Dialled in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Peak time has not been too bad this week until this evening. Around 9pm everything ground to a halt, with speed tests showing 1.7mb download speed. Links below.

2/9/162/9/16

www.speedtest.net/my-result/5601005439
www.speedtest.net/my-result/5601010359
www.speedtest.net/my-result/5601050687

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Jeza,

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for the delay in receiving a response regarding this.

I've had a look and everything looks to be spot on with both the equipment levels and network segment.

Please let us know if you're still experiencing issues with this.

Thanks again,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Jeza
Dialled in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Thanks for getting back to me.

As an update, i've not lost connection for the last few weeks now which is good, but the packet loss is still there every evening which will be down to congestion as the downstream jitter increases at the same time it appears each night, however i understand that it isn't hitting your thresholds as yet to be flagged up. Speeds also drop but they haven't been quite so bad so it has not been quite so noticeable. 

Does my upstream have any noise on it? I know i have suffered with this here before a few times over the years

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hiya Jeza

Thanks for posting back on the community and sorry for the late response.

It's nice to hear that there has been no disconnections and the speeds are a bit better. However you are still experiencing packet loss. 

I've taken a look at your account, the Modem SNR for your own connection is running at 37 dB which is within the correct range and I've checked the networks SNR and that is running stable with no issues. Your broadband is showing fine with no errors, which is good.

If you do notice the speeds drop further or any disconnections, post the router information and we will take another look at this for you.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos