Menu
Skiniski
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DNS probe finished no Internet

It happens on multiple computers.  Often pages won't load at all and I have to wait a few minutes, sometimes longer, to be able to browse again.  "DNS probe finished" is by far the most common error, however sometimes I have other errors too.  Browsing on my phone also gives issues.  I have tried resetting the router, etc.

How can I fix this?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS probe finished no Internet

Hi Skiniski

Welcome to the community

Sorry to hear that your experiencing issues with your broadband connection.

On the devices that you use do you use Chrome as a browser? Also from the other thread you posted on here, did you see the advise given by my colleague John to another customer in regards to either roll back or update the drivers. Have you tried this?

When I checked your connection, there has been no time-outs within 24 hours. However I did notice a local high peak time traffic fault in your area that is causing slow speeds. The reference number is F003894612 and with a review date of 18th November. This wouldn't cause you to have the error of DNS probe finished.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Skiniski
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I use Chrome, but also other browsers, such as Firefox and Opera.

Just now I had the Internet drop at 22:55.  Chrome gave it's usual DNS probe error and Firefox gave a "Server not found".  Neither browser would open a page, despite repeated attempts.

Regarding the drivers, yes, I did update them after reading the previous thread and now have the latest from the manufacturer.  The issue remains.

The problem must be caused from the router and onwards, as I've used multiple browsers and multiple computers/phones, with the same issue.  

0 Kudos
terjb
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This definitely isn't an isolated issue as I've been getting these issues with increasing regularity for several months now.

This has also been the topic of discussion with several friends and family members who all seem to be having similar problems around the area.

While not a strict fault or outage that's likely to raise a service status, there's definitely an intermittent problem with the service. It's a pretty poor show given the almost 15 years I've had this very installation when taking into account the increasing price, the increasing promised speeds and yet somehow matched with a decreasing ability to maintain it.

Regards
Terry

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skiniski

Sorry for the late reply.

As this is still happening after the updates of the drivers, I checked your connection again and within 10 days there has been no time-outs present.

Are you able to try through a wired connection direct to the router to see if the issue still persists please? Do you notice any of the lights on the router change at all? 

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Skiniski
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I am already connected via a cable and always have been (though other devises are connected via wifi).  The connection dropping happens across all devices.  I didn't notice any change on the lights on the router.  Could the router be faulty or be in need of an upgrade?

Just an hour or so ago, the Internet connection dropped again.  For 10 minutes I couldn't do anything.  Webpages gave:  DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET

I have some friends in the area who also use Virgin Media, and they are experiencing similar problems.  Given that, and the fact that it happens across multiple devices, the fault must lie with either the router or service on your end.  Is there some way we can test this?

Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skiniski

Thanks for the reply and the information provided this does help further.

At the moment I was unable to locate your account so I've sent you a PM (envelope top of the page) for some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I will check over the network again.

In the meantime, if you can do me a favour and post the network log from the router to see if it is registering these time-outs. To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in, on the top right you will see router status. Within here you will have network log. You can copy and paste this information, that would be great.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
Skiniski
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam,

Ok, I have responded to your PM.

I checked the router logs and there is nothing to display there at all.  How can that be?

Is it possible the router has a fault?  It's the same one I've had for many years (SuperHub 1).

0 Kudos
Skiniski
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I just had a few more disconnects.  I checked the router again, and the 'tick' light is flashing.  

I quickly went into the router settings to check things.  The logs are empty, as always.  However, I saw in Operation Configuration:  "Network Access:  Denied"

In Status, it says "Provisioning State:  FAILED  |  Offline"

What can be causing this?  As I suspected, this problem is originating from the router and onwards.  How can we fix it?  I will post below some screenshots:

Failed.PNG

Operation Configuration.PNG

Downstream.PNG

Upstream.PNG

Upstream Burst.PNG

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Skiniski

Thanks for the reply and providing the router details.

When I checked your connection this morning it is now showing time-outs in a short space of time. I've sent you another PM with more information to get this resolved for you.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

0 Kudos