Menu
sgtbellpepper
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DL Speed Has Dropped

Hi all,

I recently posted about my upload speed being only on average 14Mbps (should be 20Mbps), and that my DL was great at an average of 310Mbps (should be 300Mbps).

However, I have now noticed over the past two weeks that my DL speed has dropped to an average of 250Mbps!?!!? My UL remains the same at 14Mbps.

Any reason for this and can it be rectified back to where it should be please. I like to think I pay the extra for Homeworks+ for a reason.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: DL Speed Has Dropped

hiya @sgtbellpepper could be done to network utilization, since with all residential packages on virginmedia they are upto with no guarantees of x speed, also to check how are you testing this wired/wireless?
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hmm it is unusual to see consistently low upload speeds, it does happen but it is rare, perhaps only locking onto one channel? Might be worth you posting your stats from the router status area downstream,upsteam and network logs would be useful, just paste the raw info we can make sense of it Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

To be fair even on one channel it is more than capable of handling 20mbps but even so I still think something is a little off, over utilisation tends to hit the downstream mainly in my experience

0 Kudos
sgtbellpepper
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot (3).pngScreenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).pngScreenshot (6).pngScreenshot (7).pngScreenshot (8).pngScreenshot (9).pngScreenshot (10).pngScreenshot (11).pngScreenshot (12).pngScreenshot (13).png

Right here's the requested information, and yes the speed tests are done wired (ethernet cat6).

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi sgtbellpepper,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

I've run diagnostics on your equipment and everything is looking great at the moment. Levels are all as they should be and there are no issues with the network in your area.

Are you still having trouble with this?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

sgtbellpepper
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh, the download speed has improved back to its original level but the upload speed is still hovering at 13-14Mbps.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi sgtbellpepper,

Your Hub has the correct QOS for the upstream speeds. There are a high number of reported T3 timeouts but these could have occurred any time during the last 30 days. Would you do me a favour please and power the Hub off and back on? This will refresh the data our side and we'll be able to check if the timeouts are current or not.

Also I note your Hub has modem mode enabled. This is fine but I'd like to know what upstream speeds you can achieve with a pc or laptop connected directly to the Hub, not via a router.

Would you try that please and post some new speed test results for us?

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

sgtbellpepper
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

I rebooted the hub, and then with a direct wired connection, retested the speeds.

Here are the results, and it would seem, so far so good. I'll keep an eye over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
sgtbellpepper
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick follow up. I did a quick speed test this morning (wired via my Asus router) and got the following result :

So it would seem, so far so good. Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos