Menu
TeTsuo36
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Cut my losses? Opinions please?

Hi,

new customer since 21/03. Slow speeds on evenings, 2 full days of outage from 13, it is down on service today until 16:25pm and I'm advised I am in a highly utilised area (Area 22) and new cabling installation at the moment will bring intermittent problems until 10/04/2017 and then it should be fine. None of this was mentioned by the Sales guy, taking my order, so I feel somewhat misled!

It is the last day of my 14 day cooling off period and I'm considering cancelling it today, just cutting and running before I'm locked in.

Opinions please from longer terms users. Will it come good from 10th of April, or is it all just empty promises from VM? I notice there are people here with issues running for months, if not years.

Thanks, Mark.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Cut my losses? Opinions please?

10th April will only be a review date, not a fix date. I'd run for the hills if I were you.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Consider this: if that's how you've been treated as a new customer, what's it going to be like once you're tied into a contract with them?

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016

All Replies
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

10th April will only be a review date, not a fix date. I'd run for the hills if I were you.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Consider this: if that's how you've been treated as a new customer, what's it going to be like once you're tied into a contract with them?

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
voicon
Up to speed
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I have to agree with the previous posters, the review date you've been given is just that and looking at past experience it will move. I was told by a member of the executive team if there was a known issue with over utilisation they will usually let you out of your contract but is it worth the risk?

If I was in your situation I would get out now, as they are adding more customers it will only get worse until the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

ok, so now we have people whom dont live by the OP predicting if the fault will be fixed or not.

mmm.

5million customers on broadband yet you lot speak for them all.

Load of rubbish...Id call up and get it agreed that if fault is not fixed, contract does not hold, it can be done....

Stop feedin new customers rubbish unfair opinions.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

chutwutt wrote:

Stop feedin new customers rubbish unfair opinions.

The OP asked for our opinion and that's exactly what they got. I'm sure they're savvy enough to make up their own mind.

If VM don't like our opinions then they always have the option to fix our broadband and then we'll go away.

Redrocket
Tuning in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

get out quick Mark. I have had poor service for over a year now. Used most of my annual leave waiting in for engineers last year. Had lots of visits, lots of replaced modems, had a pull through done (new cabling into house). still more often than not, terrible. I pay for 200mps, and get - on average - 5 to 10. 

Have given up reporting it, as now lost all faith in VM. 

HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Really all depends on whether the OP is prepared to be lied to for the next 2 years or more..(many, many of us have, by the way)

broken promises after broken promises is all you will get. (fault numbers are now being 'reviewed ' and put back 9 months, used to be 6, and before that 3. Read into that what you will, personally, I think it shows VM/LG have little or no interest in actually 'fixing' anything, except for the 2 yearly price rises. (they seem to be able to do that quite quickly, I note), so base your decision on those facts..

Remember, sales staff work on commission, so will do ANYTHING to get you to sign, even if they KNOW you will not get what they 'promise'

Customer service staff only want to get you off their line to make up their quotas, so will also tell you anything to get you off the phone.

(read some of the posts on here to verify that!!) 

Some people/areas have been waiting well over 2 years for a 'fix' whilst VM continues to sell into those areas, just making them worse...

chutwutt
Superfast
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ive never encountered such bias in a forum before...and Ive seen some in my time.

Your experiences are at different areas, or do you all use the same cabinet or cmts...

Id say to the OP, bias opinions are no valid....

But feel free to go to adsl.

0 Kudos
TeTsuo36
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I called to cancel and we came to a decent compromise I think.

VM tell me it is a fix (new cabling) not a review (we will see).

They upped me from 50mb to 100mb and extended my cooling off period to 28/04/2017. That gives me +2 weeks to speed test and log post the supposed fix. No good, I'll cancel it then. I don't have other fibre where I live, so it would be back to ADSL if no good. A solid 8mb is better than constant up and down. 

Thanks, both sides of the argument are valid, I can see that VM do not particularly care about their customers, or people wouldn't be waiting months for fixes and on the flip side there are also many satisfied customers.