Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 20 (282 Views)

Crippling slow speeds. Area 26 - Newtownabbey

[ Edited ]

Over the past week(since last Monday) my broadband connection has be woeful, seeing maximum speeds of 5-6Mbps. I'm paying for a 150Mbps package and I'm receiving 4% of my "promised" speeds. Frankly I find that unacceptable. It's struggling to load youtube videos without having to buffer every few seconds, content rich websites take upwards of 5 seconds to load.

This has all been done on a wired connection, I have also tried WiFi but it yields the same result so I have opted not to upload any speedtests using a wireless connection. 

I have attached any relevant images below(speedtest, upstream, downstream, router status etc)

Thinkbroadband speedtest #1Thinkbroadband speedtest #1Thinkbroadband speedtest #2Thinkbroadband speedtest #2Speedtest.net Glasgow #1Speedtest.net Glasgow #1Speedtest.net Glasgow #2Speedtest.net Glasgow #2Speedtest.net Douglas #1Speedtest.net Douglas #1DownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstreamUpstream burstUpstream burstDownstream and Upstream channelsDownstream and Upstream channelsNetwork logNetwork logNetwork statusNetwork statusOperation configurationOperation configurationTraceroute to BBC.co.ukTraceroute to BBC.co.uk

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20 (266 Views)

Re: Crippling slow speeds. Area 26 - Newtownabbey

Jack, me and around 3-4 others are from the same area and from monday night we lost our speed but today they have give us a Fault Reference Number F005206356

Engineer told me he can't do anything it's a core hub problem.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 20 (258 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, nice to see I'm not alone with this. I guess I'll be calling 150 and quoting that fault reference number, the quality of service at the current time is nowhere near worth the amount I'm paying.
I take it nobody has any clue when it'll be fixed then?
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20 (250 Views)

1 member said july after speaking to an engineer, I have one coming out 2moro so i'll let u know what he say's, but i had one out start of last week and just walked in and told me there's nothing he can do, its a core hub problem.

I'm on the phone with them right now and the person wont take the reference number and keeps saying the problem was fixed but i'm still getting 5mbit so hes rebooting my hub right now telling me it will be fixed, guess what? it isn't

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 20 (242 Views)

Gosh July, if it takes that long there is no way I'll be sticking with Virgin Media. That would simply be unacceptable.
Yes, please keep me updated on what the engineer says. I won't be calling 150 till tomorrow, so if I can get any more information that would be most helpful.

I'm all too familiar will help desks...well being unhelpful. They're just following a script with zero clue what the issue is and/or how to fix it.
Hopefully I can get someone more sympathetic to my situation, I'd rather not have to argue over it. Bad enough that the broadband is terrible, I don't wish to have to deal with bad support reps as well.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20 (236 Views)

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 20 (231 Views)

I shall keep my eye on those threads, thanks.

I'll be waiting for your response with what the engineer has to say. Hopefully some good news, although I very much doubt it.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20 (179 Views)

Engineer out today, He explained the UBR is over utilized because they have added more areas around us (mullusk, brambles) so they need to upgrade the CMTS, They said they have been told it should be fixed by the 2nd week in May

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 20 (167 Views)

Thanks for the update.

I'll guess I'll hold off leaving Virgin Media till then, however if they just start to keep pushing the date back I see no point in sticking around.

Hope Virgin Media are going to compensate me fairly as well, the speeds I'm getting compared to what I'm paying do not match up.
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 20 (126 Views)

They said they have been told it should be fixed by the 2nd week in May?

fixed or reviewed??

i wouldn't hold my breath for a fix by then. GL anyway, I will be finished with VM by then.

0 Kudos