Menu
GaryW1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Constant Poor WIFI

I upgraded 6 months ago to vivid 200MBPS after receiving a promo email about this.

Since upgrading my WIFI has been appalling. We originally had 70MBPS and would regularly receive around 50-60MBPS on WIFI at all times of day. However now I get max 20MBPS on WIFI.

My Ethernet connection is great- no issues. 150MBPS+. WIFI I cannot say the same about.

When upgrading I had a nightmare with VM and it's customer services. They sent an engineer out to upgrade us and also install an additional TIVO box. The engineer said unfortunately we have no TIVO in stock so you will get this 'basic' box now and can ring up and order a TIVO when available. This was a huge inconvenience and was not what we were sold on the sales call.

That engineer installed our 'SUPER HUB' and said all the usual jargon, broadband in training give it time to settle which we did. The WIFI gradually got worse. I came home from work and it was not working at all. So I rang up and explained recent upgrade resulting in no internet. They did the usual tests- everything was showing as fine from their end- so they sent an engineer. That engineer came out (another day off work I had to take) he took our 'SUPER HUB' and replaced it with another 'SUPER HUB'. He went into the cabinet which is around 8 yards from my drive and tested the connections. All wired connections were good. He installed the hub and said in a few hours it will be back on. For some reason he left my property with the broadband still not working at all. I rang Technical Support a few hours later to explain. They did tests and said the engineer should not of left without getting the internet back working. He didn't log a fault or anything. They said they'd resend an engineer.

Another day off work. An engineer came out and changed our 'SUPER DOOPER HUB' again. He ran hard wire tests. Good speeds. Cabinet test good speeds. He got our wifi back working. I explained the 15/20MBPS on wifi is terrible if we are paying for 200MBPS he agreed & said he would speak to his manager to 'get the light turned up'. He then said your case has been put on the area managers desk and he will be in contact. We had internet after this engineer he got it back working albeit it was still poor.

No call happened. I rang VM up again. A manager came to speak to me from Edinburgh and we spoke for around 1 hour. He was utterly useless. I thoroughly explained everything and my reasoning for contacting the Ombudsman to report this as this was ongoing for 5 weeks. He never apologised or offered compensation but simply said he'd pass it on. I received no follow up.

I rang up the day after. Saturday. Spoke to a Manager named Karen/Carol can't quite remember. She was better- took me through how she was going to get my issue resolved, she also explained that the manager who spoke to me was put back into training as our call was listened to. Tuesday the week after a engineer (senior/manager) rang me and said the tech guys will be coming to the cabinet and then to your local exchange to turn your light up. Once they've done this I will come to your property and start afresh for you. This was done. He came and rewired from the cabinet to my hub.

I then rang VM to notify this Karen/Carol that the 'manager' had been and he will monitor our connection, she said she was going to compensate us for all the issues/days off work etc, this was never done. In fact we agreed to a new contracted price and 5 months in it's already gone up! For about two days our Wifi was exceptional. Then it went back to how it was before. 

At this point I gave up. 3 days off work. Around 9 calls to VM. 3 Engineers out. Still no fix.

I have become extremely uneasy at ringing VM up. They have offered no solutions to me from the day I ordered this new package. I have tried boosters/wifi analysers, everything. The sheer lack of commitment from senior figures within the company is what astounded me. Managers promising call backs and not doing them, very little follow up action etc.

If you pay for 200MBPS you expect half of that to be delivered via WIFI. My speed results come back at about 10/20MBPS on average Download and 8/12MBPS Upload. Very rarely any higher. This is for 5G - 2G is even worse.

I currently work as an Operations Manager within the telecom industry and have been left astounded at VM's incompetence. I have NEVER had a previous issue with VM in 11 years of custom but the past 6 months have been a nightmare. 

At this present time of me writing this post my speeds are 18.49MBPS DOWNLOAD / 12.15MBPS UPLOAD. On wifi. I'm sat next to the router doing a wifi speed test. Ethernet test came back as 182MBPS.

There is clearly something amiss and I would like to get this resolved before the NEW YEAR. Please can someone put their expertise to this problem and see what options are available to me to enhance my WIFI connnection.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant Poor WIFI

If you have had many hubs all showing poor WiFi perhaps it's your own equipment that's the problem?
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wifi can be lower speeds then wired connection its with any provider you go with it can the place were your hub is can effect the speeds if you have a phone near it move it a little way from it even ifs near a tv it can effect the speeds tell us if you have power stuff around it even phone lines but mine been all right around my pc and arm laeth from my hub to phone line i get better then the speeds only on 5ghz signal i get around 80mb and near all my upload speed you will not get full download speed with wifi to be honstly with you

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If your getting good speeds wired that proves there is no fault with the Virginia network
0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also assuming you have neighbours, its worth getting a wifi analiser on your phone if possible and checking in various places in your house to see if your wifi channel may be clashing.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What Wifi clients are you using?

You will need MIMO equipped or wireless AC capable devices to get anywhere near 200Mbps.

0 Kudos
GaryW1
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All of the above done.

Checked equipment. All fine.

Today WIFI has been on and off all day. Had to do two hub resets. Additionally I rang VM technical support line. Got through to an agent who was halfway through the security checks and said one moment then hung up. Rang back and got cut off again after the IVR had finished.

My wifi is currently not in working order.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Honestly if you are 100% your devices are not to blame, then invest in a good 3rd party router (such as the Asus RT-N66U for example, but look around at what suits you). Or better yet, wire up if the speeds and stability is what you want.

No ISP guarantees wireless speeds and the hubs are just get-you-going-wireless devices for that reason. For good wireless performances you are always going to need to upgrade to a better router and go for AC/ mimo devices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
GaryW1
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Additionally VM are still collecting £115 per month for XL TV & So called 200MBPS & Talk weekends.

A friend of mine reported a fault of the same nature in my locality and he is paying £15 a month and VM have given him a recurring credit of £20 - his contract value monthly is around £30 for the same package.

I am astonished at the lack of help VM have given me since re contracting back in summer time last year!!!!

0 Kudos