Menu
benmullard
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Consistent slow speeds (10-12Mbps v 100Mbps) - Area 20

Hi,

I've been a VM BB customer since moving into my current property in 2010.  I am currently paying for 100Mbps, but rarely get above 10-12 at any time during the day.  On occasion, it is significantly slower and often drops out, requiring a re-boot to re-connect.  Is this simply part of the wider over-utilisation issues, or is there anything that can be done / checked at my end?

Thanks.

Ben

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Consistent slow speeds (10-12Mbps v 100Mbps) - Area 20

Speedtests done on a speed testing website or are they things like steam downloads?

Wired or wireless?

Have you had a utilization issue confirmed at your address? They are very localised issues (even though there are many of them across the country, they are all individual ones)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
benmullard
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  Tests via various speed testing sites, primarily Ookla.

I've not had a utilisation issue confirmed at my address, but noted a number of responses indicating this as the issue on other Area 20 posts - I'm hoping to understand whether it's something for which there might be a fix, or a known issue that I may choose to live with...

Thanks again.

Ben

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Area 20 is also just a commercial billing code that covers many towns/cities etc, its not a good reference to see if there is an issue or not.

If you want a quick response you will need to ring up, else you will be waiting around 1-2 weeks for a reply from the forum staff (providing you don't post again as this puts you to the back of the queue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
benmullard
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the further response and helpful pointers.  I will try (again) to log the issue over the phone and await any further replies here.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Benmullard,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds. I've just checked your connection and can see there is a contention fault open in the area under ticket F003494618. This will cause poor speeds at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review 12/04/17.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
benmullard
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  Is a contention fault a particular type of error, or a generic issue label?  I'm apparently due a speed upgrade to 150 in February - is it possible that the error would be resolved as part of that process?

Many thanks.

Ben

0 Kudos