Menu
sergiup
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Connection variability issues

Hi folks,

I'm seeing a lot of variation in the connection quality recently. Signal parameters seem fine (I don't have graphs for those, sorry) and haven't changed much in this time. I'm including data from a thinkbroadband monitor and a samknows white box.

I completely understand that the service won't be 100% at the same level at all times and that's fine, but some of these dips/changes are significant and for extended periods of time. So it's more about how much it varies rather than the average. Some of the worst days were when we weren't even at home, and keep in mind that the white box is clever enough not to run its tests if the connection is being used.

Overall, there seems to be a steady increase in latency and overall fairly large variation of various performance metrics, coupled with an increasing number days when there are severe spikes in latency and even brief outages. Since both myself and my wife work from one 1-2 times a week, this isn't "a good thing" and I've seriously considered switching to FTTC despite the slower download speed.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/history/e86d0caed2e2d1eade4daaa811ab8b2f/30/04/2016.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/monitors/share/e86d0caed2e2d1eade4daaa811ab8b2f-10-05-2016.html

sk_20160511_6m_webload.PNGsk_20160511_6m_udplat.PNGsk_20160511_6m_up.PNGsk_20160511_6m_down.PNG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection variability issues

We cant see your BQM, you need to use the link to the screenshot Smiley Wink

Or post the screenshot...

Are you doing anything that uses a lot of upstream?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sergiup,

Sorry to see your speeds fluctuating and the drop outs. I've just checked your connection and can see that you are affected by contention fault F003918351. This will cause poor speeds at peak times and is due for review 01/06/16.

I also saw that your upstream power levels are too high which is the likely cause of the drop outs you've been getting. We'll have to get a technician out to adjust this and I've sent you a private message to arrange the best time. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
sergiup
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
sergiup
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update: an engineer appointment has been arranged; my upstream signal strength is a bit high (50.75dBmV upstream, with 0-1dBmV and 37-39dB RxMER downstream), hadn't spotted that. Thank you, will let you know if it solves the variability issues!

0 Kudos
sergiup
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So, an update after quite some time; signal strength up/down seems fine, but the speed is still quite variable (some evenings it will cause Netflix to throttle back to a resolution of 480 or even time out) and my gaming has become a pain - in the past few days I got kicked off various servers for pings well over 100ms.

When the engineer came by they did mention my area was undergoing segmentation, but so far I haven't seen any improvements, kind of the opposite really. I should probably be patient for a little longer, but so far not much better..

7d-upload7d-upload7d-download7d-download7d-dnsresoonse7d-dnsresoonse

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi sergiup, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F003918351 for slow speeds at peak times. This is currently with the planning team so I don't have a lot of news on this currently. We should know more after 12/10/2016 I have popped the details across to another team in our department and they will continue to keep you updated on this fault. 

I am sure this isn't the news you would have liked to hear, apologies for this. 

We will get back in touch with you soon. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

sergiup
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Woo hoo, another update! The forum team have been great and I received another update recently, unfortunately that was to inform me that the contention fault fix is postponed to the end of November now. I actually handed in my termination notice to VM and had a call back, I'm staying with VM on a much reduced price to use as a backup connection once my VDSL2 connection is installed (working from home, etc). Also got a new HH3 which I've already installed, though I don't think it really makes much of a difference when used in modem-only mode - but it was worth a try.

So the issue continues in area code 21, hopefully the segmentation (if that's indeed the issue) finalises within 1-2 months and normal service is restored.

Last night was particularly odd for example; I checked my traffic and there was barely any, just the usual email synching etc from a couple of mobile devices; the latency monitor is pretty bad though.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/9ac0dd09705cf404e5f5ce9a658457d1-21-10-2016.html

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey sergiup,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that the fault in your area is still on-going, I appreciate your patience.

Please keep in touch for further updates and let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Have a great weekend,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

sergiup
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

An update for today; I now have both VM and FTTC (NowTV at the moment, the provider doesn't matter really); the VM connection has been pretty much down since yesterday afternoon. I've rebooted the modem a few times, it occasionally synchs again, but doesn't last long. Good thing it's now my second connection, otherwise I'd be more annoyed... You can see the fairly significant difference in min / average ping and jitter too.

VM-NowTV-20161031.PNG

0 Kudos