Menu
fkp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Connection reliability issue with VIVID 200 Optical Fibre

Hello,

I've been having reliability issues with the Internet for over a week now. It shows its ugly face by dropping packets, cutting out on VoIP, freezing screens in Video chats and interrupting server connections and connections to remote services.

I've spoken to a Technical Support on Sunday who did some testes and told me everything was fine.

I've attached a few screen shots, one of them being the Network log which shows a constant "Lost MDD Timeout" (pictures 1).

Network LogNetwork Log

The next one of the Network Status (picture 2).

Network StatusNetwork Status

I hope somebody will be able to shed some light into this.

Cheers in advance!

Karl

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connection reliability issue with VIVID 200 Optical Fibre

Hi Karl

the network log is useless as a bug in the firmware has caused it to fill the log with the same duplicate message, note the same time stamp for all of them.

The downstream doesn't look good as you only appear to have 7 channels locked on and you should have at least 8.

The person you spoke to on Sunday has fobbed you off as there is clearly something not right with your connection.  You could try calling again or wait for the forum team to get this thread and see what they suggest.  I think you will need a technician to visit and investigate the cause of the missing downstream channel.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Karl

the network log is useless as a bug in the firmware has caused it to fill the log with the same duplicate message, note the same time stamp for all of them.

The downstream doesn't look good as you only appear to have 7 channels locked on and you should have at least 8.

The person you spoke to on Sunday has fobbed you off as there is clearly something not right with your connection.  You could try calling again or wait for the forum team to get this thread and see what they suggest.  I think you will need a technician to visit and investigate the cause of the missing downstream channel.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
fkp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello SCA1972,

Thank you for your reply. The log did look different a few days ago where the time between the logs and that error was between 30-50 seconds. I'll clear the log restart the hub and see what happens as well as give them another call.

Cheers!

Update:

New Network log screen shot.

Network log 2Network log 2

0 Kudos
fkp
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Updated Network status. The missing channel 0 is active again.

down up stream.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear that the missing channel is back, but it is not a healthy channel with SNR too low and far too many post RS errors.

Now that you have a log which is correctly displaying errors it is also showing an unhealthy connection with too many timeout errors in quick succession.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey there fkp,

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for the problems you're having with your connection. I can see that Scott has identified the issues which would require an engineer visit. I'll drop you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to arrange this.

Talk soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

fkp
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather_J and Scott,

Thank you for your replies and the pointers.

After calling technical support this morning again and the automated system telling me there's nothing wrong and to restart the router. I unplugged it for about 5-10 Minutes and after starting it up again and a quick look at the Downstream Channels as well as a ping test, the connection is reliable again with no lost packets.

I can't remember how often I restarted or unplugged the router in the last 9 days to hope it would sort itself out, but I'm glad it did now! I didn't have any drop outs in the last few hours! Smiley Happy

Cheerio,

Karl Smiley Happy

downstream 1 post call and restart.png

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karl

the hub stats look much healthier now, so hopefully the issue is resolved, but keep an eye on it and post back if anything changes.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey fkp,

That's good to see!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and thanks again to Scott for prompt and efficient diagnostics as always!

Hope you both have a great weekend,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos