Menu
VicM
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connection dropping out randomly

Hi!

I'm at KA12 region, last week my broadband just died, it was fixed about 6 hours later but since then there have been random dropouts happening at random times all day and night.

The drop only lasts for a second or two, which isn't noticeable with general browsing, but I do a lot of uploading to youtube and the longer drops have started dropping the upload.  I also do live stream a few times a week with video conference, the drops have made the live streams absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to achieve as the stream glitches for a couple of seconds and the connection drops.

My connection has become practically unuseable for what i need it for.

Heres my think broadband graphic... 

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/ff428ad399c267fbc579eb91418ff0d0-13-03-2017.png

There is now a constant problem with dropped packets...

0 Kudos
VicM
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection dropping out randomly

Its now been a week of not fit for purpose internet...still have large packet loss and latency spikes...online "help" is no help at all, they "refreshed" my connection, all it did was drop my speed down to 10 down and 0.3up, i had to reset the router to get the speed back.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share-large/7a8bd633a6ecd7d7abd55f799d7d7950-14-03-2017.png

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just so you are aware it takes about a week to get an answer from VM here, everything you post again you then go to the back of the queue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey VicM,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your connection problems. Yesterday I noticed a few posts from other users who are in the same area as you and I could see we raised a general network fault, which has since been resolved.

When you see this post, would you please post back to me with an update as I'm hoping this has settled for you now.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
VicM
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

The packet loss problem has stopped.  However, now my upload speed is dropping drastically after 40 odd minutes of live casting.  From 10 upload down to 0.8 upload which is useless for live broadcasting.  I have to manually reset the router before I upload a video to youtube to make sure it uploads in full and before a cast i have to again manually reset and hope the the upload speed doesn't drop to below old ISDN speeds.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey VicM,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear that your upload speeds are slower than you'd expect. I think you'll find this help article useful.

Apologies for this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
VicM
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It never happened before this month, after my internet went down and the engineer fixed it the following day and then when the packet loss was fixed all of a sudden I'm being traffic managed on a live stream where I'm not even broadcasting at a high bitrate?  Is it even traffic management if a reset on the router puts the upload rate back to 10mbps only to drop out to practically nothing 30 minutes later when the router gets warm?

If that's the case, and it is traffic management kicking in on a low bitrate live stream which every other isp is capable of doing then the internet connection is not fit for purpose of uploading to youtube or live streaming on youtube...

I'll switch to Sky when my contract is up. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us VicM,

I've located your account and I've not been able to find any fault via the equipment levels or network segment at the moment.

Let us know if we can help with anything more,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
alexsiri7
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The same problem is happening to me, the connection drops every around 5 minutes. It's making watching Netflix really hard. 

0 Kudos
VicM
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So basically Nat, I'm not on a connection where bandwidth "traffic management" is throttling my upload speed on a simple 1600~2000kbps 2 hour live stream...and it's now throttling my youtube uploads as well.

I make videos at 1080p that are 20+ minutes long and come out at around 3 to 4gb in size, I can see the throttling take effect. Its now getting to the stage where the videos are taking 3+ HOURS to upload when before this "fix" it used to take only 1 hour to an hour and a half, I used to be able to live stream at a comfortable 1500kbps after an upload, not the stream just cuts out.

I have already been on the phone to BT and Sky, both have stated that the youtube uploading and streaming I do will be more than capable of being handled by their companies even if their traffic management kicked in, and my live stream audience have also told me to get off of Virgin Media and use a better broadband company.

Something has either changed with the package I am on, or something has changed with the traffic management over the past month on Virgin Media which has made this connection not fit for the purpose that I need it for.

So, the question has to be asked, has something changed with Virgin Media's Traffic Management Policy with regards to Youtube uploaders and Live Streamers, and if there has been a change in policy, then is there a new broadband package which can handle live streams and uploads to youtube better than the current Vivid 150 on the Superhub 2 that i am using?

0 Kudos