Menu
gazjam
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Confusion over "free" 100MB upgrade to 150MB?

Recently took on TV XL, but changed my mind as I wasn't watching extra channels.

When organising that, I was told I qualified for a free BB upgrade from 100 to 150MB.

Cool...says I.

On phone tonight with VM going back to M+ TV, and told my broadband needed to go down to 100MB as the upgrade was only in conjunction with the XL TV upgrade???

Wasn't told this at the time, in fact told "all 100MB customers get automatic speed bump".

Can someone from VM please clarify the 100-150MB broadband situation?

Thanks much. :-)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 63
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Confusion over "free" 100MB upgrade to 150MB?

Hi gazjam

Let me see if I can find out more information for you regarding this.  I'll send a private message for some further info from you for further details and if you could get back to me on this that would be fab Smiley Happy  You can find this in the envelope next to your forum name.

Speak soon

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi gazjam

My apologies about the mixed messages you've received here.  Thanks for bringing this up via the forums Smiley Happy

The simplest answer is, if you are currently on the 100Mb broadband service you will be upgraded via our free re-tier to 150Mb when your area is ready for the full network update.  This information can be found on our support site https://keepup.virginmedia.com/speedupgrade

The XL 150Mb speed is available ONLY to our existing customers as part of the VIVID benefits.  However, should you accept a new contract with us your XL 150Mb broadband will revert to the XL 100Mb broadband all our new customers are getting as all new contracts ONLY offer XL 100Mb.

If your area is ready and you have one of our older Superhubs you will need this to be replaced with a Superhub 2 or Superhub 2AC. This can be organised via the link available on My Virgin Media that allows you to process the re-tier of speeds.

There is no cost for the speed uplift but if new equipment is needed there will be a one off cost for delivery of this of £5.99 that would be billed on your subsequent statement after delivery is completed.

If you already have one of the Superhub 2's or 2AC's you are fine to just update the speeds with no need to have equipment and this will process within 24-48 hours of you placing this request via My Virgin Media

If you need any further support on this or anything else, please just let me know.

Thanks again

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
gazjam
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thanks you for the reply, it confirms what I was originally told re: free upgrade to 150MB.

Strange thing though....

MY Virginmedia page shows "Your speed boost is complete" at 100MB, but previously I was on 150MB with the XL tv package?
I dont have any option on the website to upgrade to 150MB and in fact it says "Youve got our highest broadband package"??

*So*

If I am due an upgrade to 150MB (which the Network has been upgraded to handle and I was on previously - I speed tested it)...why am I stuck at 100MB with no upgrade options showing on my Virginmedia?

Could someone look into this please, I've not got a lot of confidence in what I'm being told on the phone unfortunately.
Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Nicotene
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Just looked at when my speed boost from 100 to 150 would happen and it says March 2016. Last month it was December 2015 and the previous months when it was first advertised it was to be November 2015. Can someone tell me what is going on. Why can't Virgin make their mind up or will I ever get this speed boost? Do I have to cancel to get it?
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi gazjam

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

Logging into your My Virgin Media page should show you what main broadband level of service you have currently.

The speed re-tiers for EXISTING customers only are:

• L broadband -50Mb to 70Mb
  • XL broadband- 100Mb to 150Mb
  • XXL broadband- 152Mb to 200Mb

The speed re-tiers for any new customers or any existing customers accepting a NEW agreement with us ( via Relations or Customer Services) are:

• L broadband -50Mb
  • XL broadband -100Mb
  • XXL broadband- 200Mb

If you check out what's on your billing you'll see exactly what service you currently subscribe to- no need to call us Smiley Happy

If you have any issues finding this information via your bills online please just let me know.  I'll take another look at it for you.

@Nicotene.  I appreciate it's frustrating when the upgrade page changes in date.  A lot of our customer areas were planned for November/December this year but we have had to reschedule some regions for planned roll out later on in the year or early next year.  The whole process should be complete by next year for all our customers.  Thank you so much for your patience here and keep checking in on the site above for updates.  It may be pulled forward if works are completed sooner than anticipated Smiley Happy

Thanks again

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Nicotene
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen_A

My problem is I had the same problem last year and when I complained about the price rise when the speed boosts were happening and they were able to do the boost there and then so promising a date and then putting it back twice is very annoying. I have checked the date again this morning and it now says January so the dates can change from day to day.

0 Kudos
gazjam
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for the reply Karen.

Yes indeedy, I checked my VM page and my Bills and it illustrates the issue!
I am (and have been for a while now) on the 100MB Broadband Tier, but I'm told by VM on the phone 100MB is the highest I can get.
Hence the confusion.

Let me break it down:
Was on 100MB Tier prior to me adding TV XL.
Got speed bump to 150MB and my VM page shown that my Speed Boost was complete to 150MB.
So the Network in my area is set up for 150MB and it was the speed I was receiving.

When i removed TV XL, my speed went back to 100MB
I was told "the speed boost to 150MB was ONLY because I went to TV XL"

*Is this true or false?*
Read up on VM website and forums, and was confirmed by yourself that the speed re-tiers are free, and my Area is set up for 150MB as I had it before.

SO...
Whats happened to my speed re-tier to 150MB as I was subscribed to 100MB already and the network can do 150MB?

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Nicotene
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like they don't know their **R'S** from their elbow. If the network can take the speed boost and you are going to get it anyway then it's stupid to cut the speed only to reinstate it whenever your speed boost would have been due.

0 Kudos
gazjam
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 63
Flag for a moderator

Well,

I'm just trying to get an answer to my query here as those folk on the phones have been giving me different information.
Good we can ask here and get help. :-)

Karen,

have you had a chance to look further into this?

Happy to go PM

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 63
Flag for a moderator

You took a deal that included TV XL with the free upgrade to 150Mb and doing so would have recontracted you for 12 months. You then did not want TV XL so you reverted back to you old contract and thus went back to 100Mb.

To get the free upgrade early you would need to recontract otherwise you will have to wait till its ready.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos