Menu
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Check Connection please (Superusers?)

Nicola,

if you look here ( http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/check-my-winmtr-please/m-p/3470880/highlight/false#M168355 )

the pings are miles better when i'm using a VPN , can this be escalated please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread Spitfire16,

How have things been with regards to your connection performance since posting?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat_J,

Everything is fine at the moment , bar the ping spikes to the bbc.co.uk jumping to 90MS - I have had 400MS+!

I'm predicting this is down to the SHub3 Puma Issue , Can a SHub 2AC be sent to me?

When/If do Virgin expect a Firmware update to be released? last time I had an engineer visit me I was advised within a few weeks, that was last year!

Can you also check the area for Peak time congestion please? - Speed is starting to drop @ Peak Times

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Ive attached some images for you to look at , you will notice the ping spikes on the images which i am referring to.

surely something is wrong here? 150+MS to UK Sites isn't good 

Image Below - to Multiplay.co.uk - a UK Game Server Provider

Multiplay.co.uk - Game Server CompanyMultiplay.co.uk - Game Server Company

This is a ping to the bbc.co.uk using a VPN - The pings are much better using a VPN! - Worst is 50MS - other screenshots show worst of 150+

VPN TO BBCVPN TO BBC

Ping to Bagu-core - which i believe is my CMTS - Its only 3 Hops and im getting a worst of 137MS+

MY CMTS -MY CMTS -

Pinging bbc.co.uk 107MS! - Should be expecting no more than 30MS?

Ping -n 150 to BBCPing -n 150 to BBC

Another one just completed - again to Multiplay.co.uk - Spiking to 403MS - Terrible for gaming 

403MS - Ping Spike Multiplay.co.uk403MS - Ping Spike Multiplay.co.uk

0 Kudos
Spitfire16
Up to speed
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Looking at my other thread ( http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/check-my-winmtr-please/m-p/3470880/highlight/false#M168355 )

my connection is miles better on a VPN! - Better pings no spikes! - Something is wrong somewhere i shouldn't need to use a VPN!

I know my internet signal levels are in check however , it appears the problem lies elsewhere from bagu-core onwards 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Spitfire16

Peak time traffic is fairly low, the odd spike but below any threshold for escalation, how are you measuring your speed by the way, please use wired to www.speedtest.net as this will remain on our network. Line, hub, area SNR all looking good.

I am sorry but we have no date at the moment for hub3 firmware update and it is not possible to send you a Superhub2AC.

It is very difficult to demonstrate issues using pings and traceroutes as fundamentally routers do not need to reply and even if they do the job is treated as low priority so does not tend to represent how live traffic is being handled.

If we take your image "Image Below - to Multiplay.co.uk - a UK Game Server Provider" the destination reports worst as 207mS, the worst of our routers reports a worst of 212mS, subsequent routers report lower worst 121mS demonstrating that live traffic is being handled more quickly.

Your next trace "This is a ping to the bbc.co.uk using a VPN" does not compare like with like as it is not to Multiplay as the previous one was, besides is not a VPN still via your connection/CMTS routing to the VPN provider etc.

"Ping to Bagu-core - which i believe is my CMTS - Its only 3 Hops and im getting a worst of 137MS+"

Routers do not need to reply and even if they do the job is treated as low priority so does not tend to represent how live traffic is being handled.

"Pinging bbc.co.uk 107MS! - Should be expecting no more than 30MS?"

Sorry does not show anything really, was it the bbc slow to respond? A previous router?

"Another one just completed - again to Multiplay.co.uk - Spiking to 403MS - Terrible for gaming"

Again sorry shows nothing, was Multiplay busy, was a previous router, just can't say.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos