Menu
tabber
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Capacity issues and throttling in SE12 ?

Hi,

I am getting terrible download speeds. On Vivid 152, and in the evenings getting an average of around 2MBit/s (ranged from 450Kbit/s to 4MBit/s). The kids got an Xbox for Christmas, and it means we cant play it until the download finishes, not to mention Netflix and iPlayer etc. are both out of action as they buffer so much.

I phoned 150, and was told there are known capacity issues in my area (SE12), and maintenance was ongoing, but it would mean that speeds were throttled in the evening. I can understand getting less than the 152 advertised, but to be throttled to around 2 is simply not acceptable for 70 quid a month. He gave me a 0800 number to phone for technical updates (Which ive misplaced), and after going through some menus it just said "There are no updates for your area".

I have of course rebooted the router, connected directly to the hub wifi (rather than the separate AP we have), and tried speed tests, but the guy on the phone seemed to know there were issues, he just didnt elaborate on them other than "Capacity issue, you are being throttled"

Can anyone shed light on this? How long is the maintenance going on for? When will it be fixed?

Cheers,

Kevin.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
tabber
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Capacity issues and throttling in SE12 ?

So I didn't get a reply here, but managed to get through to someone who could give me a proper update. I'll give info here in case anyone similarly affected searches these forums.

The issue is already escalated, and being actively worked on. There is a major short circuit in the area, affecting some 4000 customers, and maintenance work is underway to replace cables, but it is a big job, and will likely continue until March. Given I am sometimes getting speeds less than 1MBit I asked about compensation and was told that can be processed in March. Far from ideal, but i'm pleased to have some kind of answer.

0 Kudos

All Replies
tabber
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So I didn't get a reply here, but managed to get through to someone who could give me a proper update. I'll give info here in case anyone similarly affected searches these forums.

The issue is already escalated, and being actively worked on. There is a major short circuit in the area, affecting some 4000 customers, and maintenance work is underway to replace cables, but it is a big job, and will likely continue until March. Given I am sometimes getting speeds less than 1MBit I asked about compensation and was told that can be processed in March. Far from ideal, but i'm pleased to have some kind of answer.

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you spoke to someone on the phone and they told you March was a fix date then you have been lied too as its just a review date.

I am in SE3 and have had these slow speeds since 2014 with the dates constantly being pushed back and my next " Review " is in March also.

As for compensation they have not given you correct information again as you get a credit applied each month that the service fault is open. 

I suggest waiting for the Forum team to get to you here and give you proper information.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey tabber,

I'm sorry we didn't get back to you sooner, it can take a few days for us to reply. Welcome to the community though, I hope you're finding everything OK.

I've taken a look at things and there is an open investigation in the area, our engineers are planning to undertake some broadband upgrade work in the area to support an increased demand for our services. Once this work is completed you'll find that your speeds return to normal during peak times.

The review date is 29th March 2017, I'm afraid this isn't a guaranteed fix date, rather a date when we will have more info from our engineers working on the problem. I'll pass your details to a colleague who'll be in touch with regards to loss of service credit for the duration of the investigation work.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos