Menu
joshdwek
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Capacity fault in NW6 (Area 15) - Virgin not telling customers

There is a capacity fault in the NW6 area that Virgin are not disclosing to their customers. Typically this results in my 150Mb/s advertised speed reducing to approx 5Mb/s during the evening peak time - 3% of max bandwidth.

The ticket number for this fault is F003987110. It has been open for 2 months but is not visible on the service status website. I had to ask Virgin technical support several times before they would look for it, and once more before they found it.

There is no explanation for why the fault does not appear on the service status website. I can only assume that they do not want their customers to know about it, or the compensation they are entitled to.

As usual Virgin are unable to deal properly with my complaint. There appears to be no escalation route, and the only people to talk to are those on the phone at the time. My complaint is serious and unresolved.

I am complaining to CISAS about the non-disclosure of fault information to affected customers and seeking advice on whether Virgin are in breach of contract.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Capacity fault in NW6 - Virgin not telling customers

Virgin don't list these kind of faults on the service status page, and never advise new customers of them when signing up. 

It has been going on for years but the various regulators don't seem particularly bothered by it. 

0 Kudos
joshdwek
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I believe this kind of fault entitles customers to compensation, and by not freely disclosing it - or even acknowledging it when asked - Virgin are in breach of contract. It's time they were held to account.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

joshdwek wrote:

I believe this kind of fault entitles customers to compensation, and by not freely disclosing it - or even acknowledging it when asked - Virgin are in breach of contract. It's time they were held to account.

yeah, only problem with that is VM are regulated by OFCOM. So as long as they comply with OFCOM's guidance and stick to the agreed remedial upgrades, they are in breach of nothing. CISAS escalation is a good idea, if more people did THAT maybe VM would move more quickly on such issues.

As to not informing people, I think its more a case of 1st line support are pants, rather than deliberately hiding the fault. People who ask on here are given a fault reference straight off if its a case of overutilisation.

But the point of not informing people at the point of sign up that there are peak time speed issues, totally agree with that and IMHO its something OFCOM should be moving more quickly on.

0 Kudos
joshdwek
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

"People who ask on here are given a fault reference straight off if its a case of overutilization"

Take a look at this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-21-NW6-Slow-evening-speeds/m-p/3034959/highlight/true

Despite asking for the fault number in the original post, 2 weeks and 2 moderator replies later it was the OP who provided the fault number after an engineer's visit.

What justification can there be for not showing these faults on the service status page?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

joshdwek wrote:
"People who ask on here are given a fault reference straight off if its a case of overutilization"

Take a look at this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Area-21-NW6-Slow-evening-speeds/m-p/3034959/highlight/true

Despite asking for the fault number in the original post, 2 weeks and 2 moderator replies later it was the OP who provided the fault number after an engineer's visit.

What justification can there be for not showing these faults on the service status page?

Yes and I can usually tell you before staff can if you are suffering from overutilisation. Because I ask for a BQM trace and guess. Staff have to see if there's an open fault. If there's not, raise it to networks to see if thresholds have been breached, THEN get a fault reference, then pass it to the poster. Two weeks IMHO is fine, you're billed 4 weekly so at most you'll miss credit for 1 billing cycle, which personally I would ask to be to be applied retrospectively once I was given the fault reference.

The faults page is for things that are specifically "being fixed" ATM- so an engineer is on the way, or if its a software fix its being worked on and has an ETA. And it applies to AREAS. It doesn't list overutilisation faults because it isn't that granular, it doesn't normally report a fault down to node or specific line issues- so you could see no status fault on the page and have no services because the gas company have cut the coax to your cabinet. 

Again you go back to- that's what OFCOM are happy with so there's no pressure on VM to change. 

Ill pose a similar question- why if your speed is so badly affected you notice because your signal levels are impaired, WHY do you have to phone up or come on here and complain?

Because VM dont monitor signal levels remotely. Because OFCOM dont make them.

Dont get me wrong I'm not saying I agree with the status quo. I'm just pointing out what it is, and where the pressure points for VM to change are- CISAS and OFCOM.

Thats why idiots like me give up some of our spare time to help other customers on here- at least we can escalate issues and get them looked at where individual complaints may not get the same attention.

joshdwek
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your particular idiocy is much appreciated!
0 Kudos