Menu
editfmah
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can't use anything like the headline speed

So this is a long standing problem for both myself and many other users on the network.   There is nothing wrong with our connection as this is a fundamental infrastructure issue.

Long story short, lets assume (accurately) that there is no issue with our home networking but we are unable to achieve more than 2.5-3 MB/s (eq. 30 MBit/s) in real world usage, such as VPN or file download (e.g. large archives, iso images etc).

There was one reason, and one reason alone that I got the Vivid 200 package, and that was so I could work from home.  This morning, I was unable to clone our source code repository because it would time out whilst downloading the parts, which is an absolutely ridiculous situation and I had to finish the job with a tethered mobile phone instead.

Obviously speadtest.net always shows 200 MBit or close, but Think Broadband's single thread download only ever shows about 12 MBit/s, and with multiple concurrent downloads it might just about achieve 80 MBit.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148057709014994252692

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148015485952777645618

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148015423147788723278

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=148011153904700032500

For me, having an okay connection for a bit of web, VoIP phone & some Netflix is not going to cut it.  At this point in time, I would notice zero difference between this Vivid 200 package and a VM 50 offering and yet I am paying a huge premium for a package I simply cannot utilise.  I have even tried upgrading to the gamer package, but it made little difference other than a slightly better upstream service.

I had one single occurrence of more acceptable speed when I could download a file from cloudfront at around 152 MBit/s, at about 6:45 in the morning, but it stopped performing and just fell away back to normal by 7:30.  And at 6am this morning, it was still slow.

So has anyone just cancelled their DD and just let VM & the ombudsman just sort it out.  I already have another connection I can use, so getting cut of is not going to be a hardship.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't use anything like the headline speed

As you say there are a lot with the same problem in the massive 'Poor HTTP download speeds' thread, and it's also being discussed on the ThinkBroadband forum and Cable Forum.

My single thread download speeds have been poor for a long time and rarely exceed 50Mbps (often much less) even though speedtest.net continues to show 200Mbps.

Virgin do not seem interested in doing anything about it, a member of the forum team (Jen_A) has tried to get the networks team to look into it but has just hit brick walls, so I don't think this issue is going to be resolved any time soon.

My only advice would be don't cancel the direct debit as you risk getting a mark against your credit score, but do cancel the service and be sure to let them know that this issue is the reason you're leaving. As soon as Openreach launch fibre in my area i'll be leaving too as a 38Mb Sky or BT connection would be far superior to this alleged 200Mbps service, where the 200Mbps only exists as a figure on speedtest.net 

0 Kudos
editfmah
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I'm still contracted to them, and they want me to sign another 12 month contract for the Vivid 200 Gamer "upgrade".  They would be unable to mark anything against me whilst a complaint or issue is open with the ombudsman (well I mean they could, but they would have to remove it again), the danger comes if things are "resolved" and I then refuse to pay the outstanding amount as then they would have a fairly strong claim against me.

However, legally speaking, when your only course of action is to withhold payment until a fault is rectified i'd happily take my day in court on that foothold, given that there is no way for a client to exert any pressure on an ISP in any other way.  Whereas being forced to pay for something you are not receiving is shaky ground in reverse, and small claims fee of £80 to wake them up might also be worth it as i'm almost paying that per month anyway.

Anyhow, i'm just angry, disappointed.  Having to buy a data bundle from EE this morning just to download something just annoyed me way to much to remain rational.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Upgrading to the gamer service would do nothing anyway. All the packages comes down the same line, the same equipment. All that happens when swapping package is a profile code is sent to the superhub saying how much you are allowed to have.

As a preliminary warning though, be careful what you say as using a residential connection for work is forbidden in the Terms of Service, so you can be shown in breach of contract for what you say.

As their services are 'up to' services, they are currently not breaching even though it's obviously far off the headline mark.

EDIT- As others have said, don't cancel the DD it hurts you more than them. Go through the process of leaving, don't sign a contract for the gamer package if it's within the 14 day cooling off period, revert back to your previous contract.

Failing that, follow the CISAS complaints procedure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
editfmah
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I understand that it is a profile change, but I wondered if they would apply a different set of rules to my connection.  Same as we do at work, we allows a certain average throughput per service, with some exclusions.  I wondered if the gamer package would remove any kind of QOS that was being applied to my connection.  Given the fact that I can achieve full use of my line across 4 machines all downloading something and all using approx 50 Mbit/s I know it's not my connection but how i'm peered to the VM network, and how they deal with my traffic from there.

So the jump to Gamer was a roll of the dice to see if anything would resolve it, would even take the Home Worker package too if it would actually work for me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did add some more to the post above as well.

Don't go homeworks Smiley Tongue it's the same. VM don't control with averages etc it is purely a profile allowing the speed. You rolled the dice.

As above though, if you are within the cooling off period for going to gamer, revert back so you have less on the contract.

0 Kudos
editfmah
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I have every intention of cooling off and cancelling the package upgrade, there is just no way I could remain sane and pay £60+ p/m for just a broadband connection.

It's going to be bad enough at almost £50.

I just don't understand how they could manipulate my traffic (and they must at some level, because my whole issue is defined by the restriction of a single socket connection to a peer, and not my actual connection to their network) and feel that it's acceptable.

P.S.:  Working from home is allowed, you are just not allowed to operate a business or host services using the line without paying them even more.  Although I would also pay for a business line if it fixed this problem!

I only work from home 1 day a week, and in recent months not even that.  That's why i've gone quiet on the forum.  If I had a better connection I might work form home more, but I don't because every time our support team asks me to look into an issue and I have to download a 10GB file I feel like going postal.

"5.2.4. trade or business use of the services of any kind unless used for remote access to your employer’s corporate network (and remember in any case that we are not liable for any loss occurring as a result of such use) or you subscribe to our small business product - The Biz. If you are a residential customer and you wish to use our services for trade or business use, you must sign up to a business service like The Biz."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good shout. Easier to leave with a smaller contract (the remainder of your old one)

Business line will not fix. Same tech etc still they just get better SLAs on fixes as far as I'm aware. I'm not 100% with the business line side of things. If you want dedicated lines, you'd be looking at an expensive leased line (very expensive).

0 Kudos