Menu
PeteJ
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

CR2 area: Confirmed network issue

Hi all,

My download speed has dropped significantly since the 2nd week in February. I'm on the Homeworks package and have been enjoying the full 300Mb download speed up until then. Now my download speed is, on average, 11Mb.

After numerous calls to support and the routine procedures of switching to modem mode, boot in safe mode etc, I finally got to talk to someone this past Saturday who was able to enlighten me as to what was going on.

At first the agent thought it may have been a contention issue, but when they did further analysis they saw unusually high (quoteth "never seen before") utilisation on their network graphs, which seemed to start at the same time my speed suffered.

It was then referred to the 2nd line team who confirmed it was a network issue - specifically a load-balancing issue. Basically there are a bunch of cables carrying nothing, and the few that are in use are carrying everything and is maxed out.

This was the then referred to the networks team who are going to sort/fix the load-balancing between the lines which, in theory, should resolve the slow speeds.

The turnaround time was quoted as a few days, but I will give it until this coming Saturday (18th) before chasing yet again.

Could it really be as simple as someone not turning the pipes on?!
0 Kudos
Rancid
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: CR2 area: Confirmed network issue

CR2 Croydon ?

Unfortunately Peter you only have to take a quick look at the forum to see how poorly the VM network is coping.
i'm based in Norbury so not that far from CR2 and we have been having crap performance every evening and weekend for over a year now.

this has nothing to do with load balancing or "pipes not switched on"...
the tech was feeding you BS.

the issue is very simple.
VM keep adding customers without adding capacity.
And you (and everyone else) are feeling the effect of that.

Area 21 SW16 crap speeds for 12+ Months... current fault F004332018, Complaint COM101113771 Ignored, VM code of conduct Ignored... Avoid VM at all costs
0 Kudos
PeteJ
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yep, my post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

It is a load of twoddle what I got told. I'm impressed they managed to concoct an excuse like that.

I even contemplated their business product to see if it will improve things but was candidly told that it's all the same network and there would be no difference.

It's ridiculous and there seems to be no resolution in site.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi PeteJ,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

My apologies you are experiencing an issue with the broadband speeds.

From checking your connection, I can see the fault for high peak time traffic in your area that you mentioned. The reference number is F005099110 and has a review date of 26th April. As this is a review date it can be subject to change.

I did also notice that the upstream power levels are too high at + 54 dBmV and for this I would like to arrange an engineer appointment to adjust these. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos