Menu
milldale
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

BufferBloat Grade F, web browsing slow and stop-start

Hi all

Currently my web browsing experience as become very poor and unsatisfactory.  A while back an engineer came and replaced my Superhub 1 for another one when the coaxial connection had broke.  It seemed OK to begin with but lately web pages are taking what feels like an age to download (probably about 5-20 seconds), sometimes the loading icon just spins and I have to keep refreshing it to try again.  Listening to BBC iPlayer Radio stops and buffers frequently when previously it hardly ever did this.  It's very frustrating because my d/load and up/load speeds are on the money and occasionally a web page will display instantly.  More often than not though it's left hanging.

5520887.png 

The whole user experience is starting to feel a little grim, to the point I may think of changing to another internet provider.  I can't even access the superhub settings http://192.168.0.1/ it times out.  I did manage to access it a few weeks ago to setup a BQM and allow the firewall to accept ICMP pings but I've not been able to since then.  I've heard of changing the hub to cable modem and buying a separate router may help, but my PC is connected by Ethernet cable so would this make any difference.  My wireless speeds and browsing on my other devices actually have no stop/start issues with using the internet.  It's just my PC.

Any suggestions/Ideas would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: BufferBloat Grade F, web browsing slow and stop-start

Ok so it's the PC, or cable

Firstly unplug the cable fron the PC and sh1 check both ends of the cable and re insert, if the sh1 has more then one suitable socket put the plug back in, reboot the PC and try again
Any change?

Does your PC also support a wireless connection? If so and there is no improvement on the PC try connecting the PC via wireless?

Lastly windows has a built in checker on the network side

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues
0 Kudos
milldale
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice

I tried switching the cable but still the same, my PC does not have wireless card. I did reboot the Superhub and now I can access the settings via 192.168.0.1 I say my wireless is not affected by the jitter/slow browsing but I think that's because I only use basic apps on my smartphone, while my main browsing is on the PC. For example I would only watch BBC iPlayer content on my PC monitor. I did the test again and it was Grade D so a slight improvement but it's almost like I get that 'pregnant' pause every time I try to access a webpage, or refresh some content. Sometimes it lasts a blink, other times you could have 40 winks while it decides what to do. Streamed content is not smooth and constantly buffers.
0 Kudos
milldale
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Do Virgin Media staff drop by these posts, because it's been a week since I reported my issues and no assistance so far.  It's crippling and frustrating watching a web page slowly reveal itself, when previously it would download in the blink of an eye.

[img]http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/5d22c00187e5a0abc88935b2e78e2a8e-07-11-2016.html[/img]

Are there issues in my area (Oldham) because I am on the verge of calling Virgin Media and cancelling everything after 20 years and considering Sky/BT.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It takes 7-10 for a response at the moment. They reply in order of the last post, so bumping the thread pushes it to the back of the queue.

As your other devices don't seem to have any problems, it's almost certainly something to do with your PC which Virgin won't be able to help with, and changing provider wouldn't resolve it either.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi milldale,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read that you are having issues with the broadband connection on your PC.

I've taken a look at your connection and there is a high peak time traffic fault in your area which can cause slow speeds/buffering. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F004701089 and with a review date of 21st December.

As this will impact your connection during peak hours, do you notice this issue outside these hours?

If this is just PC related, have you tried another browser at all? Have you cleared cache/cookies?

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
milldale
Joining in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry didn't realise the time frame for a response, now I've got one thanks.

If it is my PC, i'd like to know what changed with it about 5 months ago that is now crippling my internet experience, compared to blistering fast speeds for the previous many years. The PC hasn't changed, and I have malware & cleaning programs which keep the nasties at bay, as well as re-installing windows fresh every 3 years or so.
0 Kudos
milldale
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply.

It does get noticeably worse in the evening, although I'm off work for a few days and using it now (mid morning) and it's still not perfect.  Listening to live streams i.e. BBC Radio Player frequently buffers and suffers interruptions and this is not even video.  Do you think it could be my modem, it was changed a few months ago and the problems seem to originate from then.

My wireless devices i.e. smartphone, kindle, and IP Cam all appear unaffected.  I really don't want to buy a separate router and put the superhub in cable modem mode, because it's not a wireless issue.

P.S. I use mostly chrome, but other browsers, firefox, IE are just as slow downloading webpages, and I use CCleaner to regularly clear my cache and temporary internet files.

If it is a local area issue and a fault as been raised to address the peak time traffic then maybe it's a case of sitting back and waiting.  I'd just like to know for sure it's not hardware related i.e. cable modem, PC etc..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi milldale,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you are noticing issues with the speeds or buffering during peak hours on all devices this can be down to the high peak time traffic fault in your area.

However I can see that you mentioned that your wireless devices are fine, which does make me think that this could be a PC issue. Are you able to test another device through wired to see if that has the same issue? You can try the connection when the Super Hub is in modem mode and your PC directly connected to the router just for testing to see if there is a difference. Another test can be putting the PC in Safe Mode as this will eliminate any software issues.

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's not likely to be your PC for the following reasons:

1. VM have confirmed a high utilisation issue on your node.

2. You have said that your PC does the heavy duty stuff, not the other devices.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos