Menu
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Browsing Experience

I seem to have a steady broadband speed now after a wobbly start. It is 40-50Mbps where my old ADSL was a slower but steady 11Mbps.

I know this is rather subjective but I can honestly say that my browsing experience seems to be no different to ADSL in so far as ebay and other content rich (advert laden) pages still take a minimum of 5s to load and the page to be usable.

I know broadband speed cannot be the only factor but I would like to know if my experience is typical or can anybody out there honestly say hey have seen a dramatic difference shifting from ADSL to 50Mpbs cable, all other things being equal. Especially in Area 12, Birmingham.

I have a desktop PC connected to the router with 500Mbps HomePlug adapters. In any case, it is the same PC I use to do the speed tests which return rather good results at the moment.

If anybody has any explanations, I would be grateful.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Browsing Experience

Constructing a web page is a little more complicated then just downloading a file, so it could even be you computers processing speed that effects it.

It might be worth testing with  a direct ethernet cable connection just to see if it makes a difference, Homeplug adaptors can be effected by a number of things.

Depending on how tech savvy you are you might want to play with a packet sniffer such as wireshark which will show you all the traffic required to load a web pages along with exact times for each packet etc..

BTW ebay here loads almost instantaneously.. however I'm fully wired, with a reasonably fast pc and my own router in modem mode.

0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I'll check out some of your points.
0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In a bid to separate Virgin's broadband performance from any problems on the LAN side of my router, I added the "Page Load Time" extension to Chrome.

I measured the load time for eBay.co.uk and it reported just over 6s. Actually that's rather fast for me!

eBayLoadTime.png

I'm going to assume here that Content means all the necessary data downloaded from eBay. This seems to be about 1.7s from the point of hitting F5 which doesn't seem too long to wait on a human scale.

Then there's a relatively long time called DOM at the end of which, it completes loading. Another assumption is that DOM (Document Object Model?) is the parsing/processing of the web page code by the browser but I'm just guessing. But if so, then my poor loading times could be local to my browser and PC.

There seems to be little documentation by the extension author as to what each element means so I'm wondering if anybody who knows about web pages (Steve?) might be able to confirm or trash my assumptions above? How can DOM be brought down, short of getting a new PC?

0 Kudos
genericuser
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Browsing Experience

I found the cause of my problem.

Web Protection in Malwarebytes 3 was playing up recently and I had a patch from them last week. I measured DNS resolution performance with and without Web Protection switched on. There was a near 50 fold increase in the average DNS lookup time when Web Protection was switched on for the primary DNS server. i.e. cache1.service.virginmedia.net. Up from 15ms to 730ms! This caused a hell of a delay when all the ads are served when I land on eBay.

In the course of this investigation, I found a few useful tools:

• Chrome: has a timeline recorder in developer tools showing exactly when files and images are loaded. When you see the number of files and servers are required to make an eBay page, it's quite an eye-opener.

• DNS Benchmark by Steve Gibson. This awesome tool allowed me to check whether the Virgin DNS servers were the fastest when I had Web Protection switched on and off.

• MVPS HOSTS file. You'll be amazed how fast your pages load when all ad servers are directed to a black hole.

0 Kudos