Menu
Fortun8
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

Virgin Media's Standard Broadband Speed Is Now 100Meg
I have 50meg package which usually runs at 28mb when will the new standard 100mb come in
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband speed

I don't know if Virgin are going to upgrade people on existing packages to 100 or if you'll have to sign up for it. If you're only getting 28 now it could be down to utilisation, too much demand in your area. Do you get this sort of speed 24/7 or is it mostly at peak times? If its down to high demand your speeds wouldn't improve with the higher speed package, it's still delivered with the same kit as before.

Dave.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can check the range of speeds you could expect to get here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

The results don't just apply to BT. Sky, TalkTalk etc all use the Openreach network so should all be similar.

BT give you a expected speed range and guaranteed minimum speed before you sign up. If they can't give you the minimum you can cancel without charge. This was a couple of years ago when I signed up, but I think it's still the same.

I have infinity 1, which is up to 52Mbs. Lowest I've had when tested is 51.5 and that's 24/7. Worth a look round to see what you can get.

Dave.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't know if Virgin are going to upgrade people on existing packages to 100 or if you'll have to sign up for it. If you're only getting 28 now it could be down to utilisation, too much demand in your area. Do you get this sort of speed 24/7 or is it mostly at peak times? If its down to high demand your speeds wouldn't improve with the higher speed package, it's still delivered with the same kit as before.

Dave.

Fortun8
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. It was a direct copy and paste of their statement.
It's difficult to find an ISP that can actually shows ave speed in your area.
Thank you it confirms my thoughts, the speed does vary however 80% of time 28mps which is pretty good. Wonder what others in area getting mainly sky and bt.
Thanks for quick response
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can check the range of speeds you could expect to get here: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

The results don't just apply to BT. Sky, TalkTalk etc all use the Openreach network so should all be similar.

BT give you a expected speed range and guaranteed minimum speed before you sign up. If they can't give you the minimum you can cancel without charge. This was a couple of years ago when I signed up, but I think it's still the same.

I have infinity 1, which is up to 52Mbs. Lowest I've had when tested is 51.5 and that's 24/7. Worth a look round to see what you can get.

Dave.