Menu
lilacjc
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed

I have been having speed issues with Virgin for years. Every time I contact them about it I get the same excuses. Firstly that I am too close to the main hub and my connection is too strong, secondly that there must be a problem within my house that is causing the low speed and the last one that upgrade work is taking place and it will be resolved shortly.

I am currently paying for Vivid 100mb and never get higher than 23mb. I would say that 15 to 17mb is the average. After discussing this in a Virgin store I have been told that there is definitely an issue somewhere as I should be receiving at least 70mb and the sales person thought that the likely cause was my router. I have requested a new hub as I have had mine for a few years but can only have one if I pay.

I have changed settings, bought tp links and wifi senders recommended by Virgin to solve the problem but none of these made any difference.

Can anyone offer any advice please?   I do not want to sign with another provider but feel I am being left with no choice.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed

Hello lilacjc,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

I'm really sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had and continue to have with your connection, it sounds really frustrating.

I've taken a look at your connection and noticed that we're currently working on a fault in your area which is responsible for reducing speeds during peak time hours. The fault ref is: F003552863 and it's currently due for review on the 29th March.

Can I please ask what your connection is like during off peak hours?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lilacjc
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather,
The time makes no difference to the speeds I receive. As I stated this has been a problem for ages and after recently talking with a Virgin engineer he thinks the issue may be the fibre coming in to my property from the hub across the street. I have had engineers out but the external connection has never been checked. He suggested that should be checked and if no fault found then a new router should solve the issues. Is this something you can help with arranging?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello lilacjc,

Thanks for getting back to me Smiley Happy

I've just taken another look at your connection and I can't see anything that would suggest this is a fault with your cabling. Your power and SNR levels are great and there's also no time-outs. I've looked further into the usage in your area and I can see it starts to pick up at around 8AM and it continues to rise until it dips back after midnight, so to you this would feel as though it's consistently slow. I personally don't feel that changing your equipment will make much improvement.

Thanks again for posting,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
lilacjc
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply but you are telling me that my speeds will not improve due to the usage in my area. There is no point me paying for 100mb if even half of that is unobtainable. At least now I know that changing to a different provider will still provide me with the same speeds I am receiving from you but for a lot less money.
Regards
Jacky
0 Kudos