Menu
davem81
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed very poor in an evening

Good afternoon, over the last month i've been experiencing very poor internet speeds especially in the evening, therefore i have been monitoring the speed on my speed tester app. Historically the speed drops from 50Mb in the day to between 2-5Mb in the evening. Due to this poor speed I cannot watch internet TV or stream movies because they keep buffering, i do not experience any of these problem during the day what so ever. This afternoon i decided to call Virgin to resolve these speed issues but the sales advisor tried to palm me off with some very poor technical jargon. I explained all my issues as detailed above but all he could come back with was we had 15 devices registered on our router and thats why my speed is low! I tried my best to explain to him that 12 of those devices are friends and family that come from time to time and may use our internet for social media etc but they are not physically connected and using our internet for more than an hour here and there over the course of a week/month whenever they come to visit. Therefore i don't see how having these registered devices will affect my speeds every evening of the week when they are not even in our house using our internet. All line tests have passed without a problem, while the advisor was on the phone he asked my to use our wired internet connection to steam off the internet while also using a mobile device to steam a you tube video - all devices performed perfectly without buffering once :-) after this he was completely stumped and arranged for someone else to call back tonight. Basically he couldn't help and wanted to get me off the phone as he didn't have any relevant info to resolve the issue. So tonight when the football is on i will again be left with poor internet speeds and lots of buffering to make viewing impossible! I have therefore done some of my own trouble shooting and manually changed both channels on my router with info from virgins help page. lets see what happens!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed very poor in an evening

Hi davem81,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about the experience you've had with this.

How has the hub's performance been since you changed the channels? Are you still experiencing the same issues?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
davem81
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh,

The channel change has made no difference the speed from approx 5pm drop rapidly from 40+Mb to <5Mb. It's been like it for weeks now and really affecting our viewing experience to the point where we have to turn it off! We do need help or someone to look at

Regards
Dave
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi davem81,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I've run a diagnostic on your equipment and all the levels are showing great. However, I have picked up an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F004144839). Our technicians are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible and have set a review date of April 2017.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Josh

0 Kudos
davem81
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi josh,

Thanks for your response. Will the network be down for that long at peak times? If this is the case can we have a discount on our broadband please?
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi davem81,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can go into further detail for you.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

0 Kudos