Menu
reverend
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed problems - area 21

I'm thinking of moving my Virgin supply elsewhere, not just due to cost but slow broadband, too. Retention  shave told me I'm on a speed of 50mb/s, but I'm getting nowhere near that. 3.7mb/s at the moment. Anyone know how I can improve this? Reboot? Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed problems - area 21

Hi reverend,

Welcome to the forums, I'm sorry you have had trouble with your speeds and are thinking of leaving us. 

Looking at your connection it seems you're affected by fault ref F003993318 for slow speeds during peak times. 

This is currently with the planning team and I don't have a lot of news on this currently. We should have more news on the review date 27/04/2016, please give this thread a bump closer to the time and we'll be able to get an update for you. 

In the meantime I'm going to pop you a PM. Look out for the purple envelope top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
reverend
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much for the reply. Last night's speeds were 0.91 download and 0.31 upload, so obviously something is not right somewhere! I will wait until April to see if the engineers have managed to put things right.

0 Kudos
reverend
Tuning in
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Speed test at 1920hrs this evening: download 0.67mbps, upload 0.06mbps. Unbelievable. Are other people suffering this, too?

0 Kudos
oliseo
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Yes, same area. 

0 Kudos
davehoward
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi, im also experiencing slow speeds and im on the 200mbps package. (although i think its still 156 at the moment) but 10-15mbps is nowhere near speed i should have, Area 21 too. 

Do they also throttle speeds at peak times? 

0 Kudos
Bestie
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Same area as you and getting 6mbps if i am lucky. My Review date is 30th of March but don't hold out much hope as its been over a year now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi reverend,

Just wanted to provide an update on this. We try to check the fault tickets on or near to the review date and F003993318 was closed on 21-03-2016 after your Hub was moved to a new CMTS. I've checked and there is no longer any issue with capacity.

Hopefully you'll have already noticed the improvement, but thanks for your patience whilst waiting for this to be resolved.

Don't forget to come back to us on this Forum should you have any other problems or queries you'd like our help with.

Kind wishes Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
reverend
Tuning in
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid I'm still experiencing snail's pace speeds on occasion, usually around 2000-2200hrs. This is also affecting services such as Netflix, wth programmes halting and having to be reloaded. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
London21
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

First off, Virgin Media either lies or they're systems are so poor that they can't assess when there's a common fault in an area.

I've been dealing with these guys since February as my speed was doing the same thing (fine during day, ridiculously slow at night). They insisted it was an isolated incident, not an area problem. I subsequently discovered there was someone else in my block with the same problem as one of the visiting technicians let it slip. And obviously given this thread there are a few others. So, very poor service and / or behaviour from Virgin. We should all report this to Ofcom (the regulator) once this is all settled as it borders on fraud.

Regarding the speed issue, I was lucky enough to get the phone number to one of the engineers directly. So I've been able to bypass the robotic phone support team (another area for Ofcom to look into).

It's been 4 months of ridiculous answers and constant pressure, but he says work should be done on this fault during the week of July 25. In the past they said it was a problem with the "headend" and/or CMTS. Whatever it is, Nokia has to be brought in to deal with it.

That's all I know for now. As I'm Area 21 as well, I'm assuming we have the same issue (but can't tell for 100% sure, I'm just a customer).

p.s. - if they allowed attachments here, I'd include the graph of the speed drop every night around 7:30/8:00 and then ramping back up around 11:30 - it's very consistent and pronounced
0 Kudos