Menu
m0nstr0s1ty
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed much slower after upgrade!

VirginMedia upgraded my household account to VIVID 200 today. Since then, our broadband speed has on average been at least 50Mbps slower. I have reset the Hub to factory twice and started afresh with no change.

I have run a speedtest (Ookla) about 12 times now over the last 2 hours. The speed fluctuates a lot but the lowest has been around 58Mbps and the highest 130Mbps.

Before the upgrade this morning, in any speedtest I ran (normally I'd run once a week, or so) I would get no less than 130Mbps and no more than 170Mbps. Generally my speeds would be constant around the 145Mbps mark, which was just about right for the VIVID 150 package.

I have run these tests using the 5G network. I'm pretty certain it's not a problem at my end. What's the deal? Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed much slower after upgrade!

Hi m0nstr0s1ty,

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear that upgrade speeds took a dip, this is a bit of an odd one as, apart from the occasional peak time spike, your network segment and Hub stats looks to be in good shape.

If you're still experiencing problems could please test wired directly to your PC and let us know how things are looking.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
m0nstr0s1ty
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for the reply.

I have tested a desktop PC and a laptop, wired directly into the modem.

Both high at around 145mbps, but 7 of 10 tests were below that. The lowest was 102mbps, and it was on average around 120mbps.

I've seen elsewhere on the VM website that the 'actual speeds' are lower than the 'advertised' speeds and that is fine, but for VIVID 200 I'm sure I read that I should be getting around 160mbps peak and 190mbps or so off-peak. The upload speed is fine, and for the most part constant. Generally between 11.4mbps and 12.02mbps.

This is the web page: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds.html

It seems ridiculous that now I have upgraded my broadband speed is 1) more unstable and 2) on average 50mbps slower than before. That is absolutely not right.. what was the point in upgrading when paying for a lesser service?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi m0nstr0s1ty,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I appreciate you testing through a wired connection. Are you able to try whilst the Super Hub is in modem mode please? This will eliminate other devices connected?

Are you using any powerline adaptors within the property or another router at all?

Speak soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos