Menu
huftonr
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed in Area 30 (Sutton-in-Ashfield)

Although I'm clearly not alone the peak time broadband speeds in my area are a joke. I'm on an alleged 150Mbs service but during peak I get somewhere between 5Mbs and 15 Mbs (have seen as low as 3 Mbs). Off peak (morning) back up to circa 140Mbs.

Spoke to Virgin last week, the guy said there was nothing wrong with my set up and it was a known capacity issue with their server. He said it would not get resolved until April 2017 (**bleep**!) and gave me a paltry one off credit of £5. He also said I should only suffer from this 1-2 times a week. Been monitoring my speeds all week and guess what, same every night.

If indeed that is what I will be getting for the next 3 months then I will be expecting to only pay for that lower speed. Or jump ship to Sky or BT.

Come on Virgin, simply not good enough.

blacko
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed in Area 30 (Sutton-in-Ashfield)

Exactly the same here in Mansfield Woodhouse mate. The other providers can only offer me about 40meg on fibre but still getting ready to go as a real 40 is better than peaktime dross.
Grizzlehound
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yep same issue daily in south normanton on 200/20 gamer package NO TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT I pay extra for a service vm can't provide pretty shocking really. I've also been told by vm this won't be fixed until May. But this review date as been pushed back since 2015 so not holding out much hope for a fix. Just waiting on bt to upgrade my local cabinet and I'll be jumping ship.
0 Kudos
Grizzlehound
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Around 1 percent of what I should get think I'll pay 1 percent of my bill see how that go's down lol.

0 Kudos
blacko
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi mate. Did they give you a fault reference for the issue/review date? Cheers

0 Kudos
huftonr
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

blacko wrote:

Hi mate. Did they give you a fault reference for the issue/review date? Cheers

No they didn't but did say they'd pass my mobile contact details onto the engineer to let me know when the issue had been fixed. Not holding my breath on that one.

Will likely give them another call in the next week or so and raise the question of a permanent discount until the issue is resolved.

0 Kudos
blacko
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Have just cancelled mine this morning and going with another provider. If and when they ever get this sorted I may consider returning. I will keep subscribed to this topic so if you could update it when the issue is resolved or other I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers mate.
0 Kudos
huftonr
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good luck, why don't you post back on your experiences with the new provider. Might be a few on here interested!
0 Kudos
gazhill1987
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same here currently, Kirkby in Ashfield.

It's happened before but for the past week it's been fine, even during peak times.

Don't understand how 100mb goes to 3mb if this is over utilisation? Thought the whole idea of it was to scale it back so everyone gets a fair amount of use, don't mind a slower connection but it's the quality of the connection that bugs me as it's mostly used for gaming.

A few more people using it in the area shouldn't sap my 100mb down to 3mb should it?

I set up one of those bandwidth trackers and noticed that right around 5pm I get about 35% packet loss and a much higher latency. Surely not a coincidence.

0 Kudos
blacko
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Well I will have both running side by side for a couple of weeks so can directly compare. I don't think posting about the quality of another providers service will be allowed by the mods on here but you are welcome to PM me.
0 Kudos