Menu
Mattreader87
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed fluctuations

Hi,

I'm a tech professional but new to virgin media broadband, currently my broadband download speeds fluctuate from 53mbs to 2mbs depending on the time of day. Is this usual for virgin media? I'm a pretty heavy gamer and currently I can't play games at peak times as 2mbs just won't cut it. Not only that but my wife can't open work emails at these peak times either! I'm paying for 50mbs and don't expect that all the time but 2mbs is rediculous, unusable and as far as I'm concerned breaks the terms of service for them to be providing me with useable broadband.

Any thoughts as to whether this is unusual?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
conradbraam
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed fluctuations

You probably want to download the speedtester app and see what it tells you at different times of day. Im about to do the same. a long time user I am finding really slow uplink a the moment (since Tuesday).

Last time this happened it was embarrassingly the cable between the wall and the modem had come a bit loose, the connections are not awesomely stable. A 1.5 GB upload is taking almost 2 hours for me and seeing some lag on page load times all over the place, so I may have to reboot and re-plug the cable router. Hope this helps a little for you too.

0 Kudos
conradbraam
Dialled in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

My ping times are between 200 and 700ms just to the cambridge core, and router restart did not resolve. It deteriorates at night? Was really slow at midnight? And now slow again. Why, I mean windows 10 updates are not enough to explain this?

Download speed on speedtest is 25/30mb upload is 0.3mb

The ping it gives of 500ms confirms what im experiencing, a pointless internet connection right now. Just started happening Tuesday, so must be a cable issue :-(

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mattreader87,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your speeds.

I've located your account and I can see an issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003733143). Our technicians are working to get this sorted as soon as possible and have set a review date of 29 March 2017.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos