Menu
Ignoramis
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Broadband speed drop

Hello all, this is my first post. After over two years of satisfactory broadband speed (52+ Mbps) and a successful upgrade in the summer, my speed has recently dropped to 34 Mbps. There has been no changes of equipment, location, furniture arrangements, nothing. I just tried customer support telephone and waited 12 minutes only for them to hang up on me! Help would be much appreciated as when you are used to 60-70 Mbps, 34 feels really slow! Thanks, Robert

0 Kudos
Teresa6
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband speed drop

Hi, sorry to jump on your thread, but we too are suffering. Our speed is 27.8 Mbps this past few days. Pages are taking 19 seconds on average to load. We're in South east Essex (if that makes s difference) on the supposedly 'largest' broadband if the fibre optic 200. Virgin, please help us?
0 Kudos
Ignoramis
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have been tweeting with Virgin about this. Total waste of time so far, might as well be writing to Santa Claus! Have you made any progress yourself?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ignoramis,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you're having trouble with your connection.

I've run a diagnostic on your equipment and everything is looking great at the moment. All the levels are as they should be and there are no issues with the network in your area. I just need a little more information so I can figure out what's happened to your speed:-

• Are you connecting wired or wirelessly?
  • Does the slow speed affect multiple devices or just one?
  • Do you get slow speeds at certain times of day or all the time?

Look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Ignoramis
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your assistance. My wife and I both have wireless connections to our PCs. To answer your second question, I discovered today that my wife's, whose PC is in a different room to our Asus router, is still getting 57 Mbps, whereas my PC, which is next to the router, continues to have the reduced speed of 33 Mbps. This is the case at any time. 

I appreciate that the problem no longer appears to be anything to do with Virgen media but any help that you can give would be most welcome. 

Thank you,

Robert

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us about this Robert and for the information provided in your post.

I've double checked everything from our end and post-refresh the equipment levels are looking spot on.

There also doesn't appear to be any issues detected via the network segment.

I recommend adjusting the wireless settings to see if this improves the connection for you PC.

It's also worth knowing that certain desktops are only capable of handling certain speeds. I'd definitely try connecting your PC via Ethernet to the router to see what type of speed this comes back with.

If this is still coming back with a poor result, it's worth re-running this while in Safe Mode, as if the speed shoots up while in this mode, it could indicate a potential issue with the PC itself.

Let us know how you get on with this,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos