Menu
fergiet
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Broadband slow in afternoon/evening EH14

Paying for 200mps and it's fine most mornings but come the afternoon and into the evening it's dropping down to anything from 5mps to 115mps.

Service web page says that there are no broadband issues in our area. Well there are.

Virgin Media ?

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5978395104

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5980579580

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/5951360847

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
gaol
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband slow in afternoon/evening EH14

The fault is actually over 2 years old; they changed the fault reference.

See my thread at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Fault-in-EH14-over-2-years-resolved-without-fix/m-p/324851...

I gave up in the end, as it reached the point on my connection where I was under 5mbps on a 152 line and couldn't stream in the evening - my disconnection date was yesterday.  Good luck and if it ever gets fixed let us know Smiley Happy

gaol
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I went with Sky for all services.  I am on cabinet 1 from Pentland so was unable to get fibre, but as I'm close to the exchange I get a reliable 20mbps at any time of day.  It's crazy when ancient copper lines provide a better service that Virgin's fibre network but there you go, it's only costing me a tenner a month and I got half price TV.  It's a hassle to change, no doubt, but if you can get a decent speed elsewhere you should investigate.  A lot of the cabinets around here are being activated for fibre at the moment, the exchange work is done.  Otherwise, make sure you are being compensated, written complaints work best.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) but full speed at off peak times is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.  These peak time capacity issues do not get shown on the service status page.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting over a year for a fix.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is the speed I am getting now at 23.06 hrs. 11.51mps download and 12.23 upload.

Paying for 200mps download.

Come on Virgin !!!

http://beta.speedtest.net/results?sh=8bd5efb8f4c646a81edf79f9091fa8bf

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread then it will bump you to the bottom of their list.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just been told it's an ongoing upgrade that will go on into April 2017. Ticket # F004926320

Funny as that is what I was told last year and was given a finish date for the work of 17th Nov 2016.

Come to the conclusion they just make up stories.

Very fed up !

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The call centre staff give out dates for this kind of work claiming that they are fix or finish dates when they are not.  They are in fact review dates at which time the network team will review the work done to increase capacity and plan additional work if necessary.

If you are fed up I'd recommend you look for a new ISP or if that is not a viable option then at least ensure that you receive some compensation for the lack of service from VM.

0 Kudos
gaol
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The fault is actually over 2 years old; they changed the fault reference.

See my thread at http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Fault-in-EH14-over-2-years-resolved-without-fix/m-p/324851...

I gave up in the end, as it reached the point on my connection where I was under 5mbps on a 152 line and couldn't stream in the evening - my disconnection date was yesterday.  Good luck and if it ever gets fixed let us know Smiley Happy

fergiet
Superfast
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Goal, thanks for the heads up. All a bit of a worry really. Who did you move to for broadband ?

0 Kudos
gaol
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I went with Sky for all services.  I am on cabinet 1 from Pentland so was unable to get fibre, but as I'm close to the exchange I get a reliable 20mbps at any time of day.  It's crazy when ancient copper lines provide a better service that Virgin's fibre network but there you go, it's only costing me a tenner a month and I got half price TV.  It's a hassle to change, no doubt, but if you can get a decent speed elsewhere you should investigate.  A lot of the cabinets around here are being activated for fibre at the moment, the exchange work is done.  Otherwise, make sure you are being compensated, written complaints work best.