Menu
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Broadband providers are complicit in fraud over speed claims, says MP

MP Matt Warman seeks reform of the ten per cent rule.

"Broadband providers are complicit in this fraud on 90 per cent of consumers, but it’s the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that needs to get a grip on it."

In November last year, the ASA confirmed new rules on advertising broadband speeds are likely to be introduced in 2017.

Kerris Bright, Chief Marketing Officer at Virgin Media, said: "The advertised speed should be available to the majority of consumers - plain and simple.    "Government has been clear about the need for a majority rule and today [8th March 2017] MPs are examining the issue in parliament - the regulator should act now."

CEO Tom Mockridge made a similar statement back in January 2016.

(Perhaps Kerris and Tom should take some time to read this Speed related board!)

Even the Local Government Association (LGA), takes a similar, albeit flawed, view.

Main story here

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband providers are complicit in fraud over speed claims, says MP

Problem with that ian is VM can prove that 99% of customers can get their advertised speeds. Just not at peak time.

BT and co might say you can get up to 72Mbs as the package but then only get 58Mbs all the time due to distance from cabinet etc. That's what the aim of that is to reduce, not peak time issues sadly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
ian-c
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband providers are complicit in fraud over speed claims, says MP

I agree with you Shaf. I would wager that 99.99% of VM customers can get their advertised speed (and probably even exceeding it) between 1am and 3pm, but any publicity around speed issues, especially publicity around the speeds available in peak periods, when connections are often slower because of high usage, or even distance, can only be good publicity.

We've previously discussed the LGA's suggestion around providers being legally obliged to advertise 'average speeds'. Whilst a step in the right direction it does not address diabolical download speeds during the evenings and will not be a reflection of how bad a service you will get during peak hours, when most people want to use it

The LGA, OFCOM and other observers tend to ignore VM, whose cable Broadband is not distance sensitive like Openreach is. THAT is an issue which needs to be addressed. At least BT, SKY etc... give guaranteed minimum speeds 24/7.
What I want is a more reliable connection with stable speeds 24/7 rather than headline grabbing blisteringly fast speeds.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I am in an OVER UTILISED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - poor speeds of 0.3Mbps to 4Mbps every evening.
Contention reference "F002896495", has now become F004952644.
Ongoing since March 2014. 16 review dates... Next Review JANUARY 2018
0 Kudos