Menu
Strictly_Mad
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband madness

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem as me.

I don't usually post on forums and such but this issue I have with virgin is now getting completely ridiculous.

I have the (up to) 150 broadband however for around six months now I have been receiving as low as 1 down and 175k up on a regular basis. I have been given "refunds" for many months now but have come to the conclusion that this issue is not going to resolve itself anytime soon.

I have had multiple conversations with countless "virgin experts" and each one has come up with a different reason.

The one that I am likely to have more faith with is this:

Our infrastructure in your area is undergoing an upgrade as the current volume we have on said infrastructure is too much for the existing...we have no date that this will be remedied by.

I find this astounding!

I complained and was told that a manager would contact me within 7 days. It was more like 4 and even then I missed the call and they didn't bother to call back.

One thing that really gets me is this, because VM want new customers (understandable) they give out fantastic offers to them. These new customers then become an issue for existing as VM then become over subscribed in a particular area. However the deals for retention of customers is very poor and the service (or lack of) received likewise.

I pay nearly £100 a month and the new customer deals at the moment are nearly half of that (12 months) for pretty much the same package.

I have been with virgin and all their previous derivatives from the beginning of this cable lark and this is the treatment I get.

Well I am out of contract now so suppose I have options.

I cannot seriously be the only one receiving this very poor service surely?

Can anyone shed any light if my guess above is correct?

OK my rant is over now.

Cheers all.
0 Kudos
LokiDog
Superfast
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband madness

You're not alone.

Your guess is right.

I wouldn't count on it  being fixed any time soon.

The 'undergoing an upgrade' stage is more than likely still in 'planning' and will be given multiple review dates.

A review date seems to go like this: support look for a known problem in your area, find it and see a note saying 'it's broken will be fixed by $fixdate, check back in two months'

$fixdate = date("Y-m-d",strtotime( '+'.mt_rand(60,120).' days'));

Strictly_Mad
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the equation 😁

This cannot be a sustainable business model!

I do not mind paying a premium for any service as long as I receive said service to a certain level. Does anyone know the SLA s that they must adhere to with customers?

You don't go to the barbers and pay for half a haircut due to the scissors only able to cope with 10 haircuts a day and I have 20 customers!

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As far as I know, only Business Customers have an SLA. They are not applicable to the Private customer.

This forum is littered of complaints regarding over subscribed areas, and the general answer is to get a rolling reduction to the monthly bill.

Unfortunately some customers have no option but to grin and bear it, but others jump ship to BT etc.

As long as Sales are bringing in new customers, I don't think VM are too concerned about losing others at the same time.

If you setup a TBB monitor, www.thinkbroadband.com/ping you can track your incoming signal in real time. This will give you solid evidence if you need to get a reduction for poor service.

Strictly_Mad
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, yes I already have that. Thanks for the info though.

I work for the NHS in IT and know that we have an SLA business wise but surely there must be a level of service that must be provided within a private residential contract. There must be some sort of consumer right here.

How can you accept new customers with the promise of the fastest broadband when it clearly isn't? That must break some sort of false advertising as they know that there are issues.

I am a member of Which. I think I'll give them a call to see what the situation is.

Oh I am in the 03 area BTW.
0 Kudos
SiKi
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

They get around it by giving you 'up to speeds' and that between the hours of 1am-10am the speed is usually at a decent enough level so am guessing this makes them feel real honest company..lol

Strictly_Mad
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Lol Well I can honestly say it doesn't matter the time of day as I like to game as well which does go past the 0100 time and it is still ropey. Don't get me started on the NAT issues!

Which have an interesting article RE the "up to" issue and apparently this misleading information is being looked into by the authorities next year.
0 Kudos