Menu
Nick_M2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband contention

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 200 vivid customer and up until 7 months ago have never had a problem. I work in IT and have done for the last 16 years so I know what I'm doing when it comes to network layouts etc.

First thing in the morning around 6 am I get 180-200mb download, totally normal.

• By 7-8am it's dropped to 80mb
  • Anything after 8-9am I'm getting 30mb maximum,
  • Evenings i'm down to 10mb

I've had 3 engineers out and a couple of new hubs, currently using the superhub 3. None of them could find an issue, the last engineer thought it may be a contention problem (after I'd suggested it to him). However, I've spoken to Virgin and they can't tell me when it'll be sorted or if that's what they think the problem is. I've been waiting for months now and still paying full price for a service and getting nowhere near the speed I should.

I'm out of ideas now, the only other service available to me is ADSL, FTTC is coming in a couple of months.

HELP!!!

0 Kudos
voicon
Up to speed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband contention

If the engineers have checked your power levels, connections, etc then it does sound like over utilisation. I had the same issue, engineer visits and was told there were no network issues, eventually I got through to a 2nd line tech who knew what they were doing and found the problem of over utilisation on a spreadsheet.

The VM team members here will be able to look at your account and see if there are issues in your area, they provide truthful information where the 1st line techs just want you off the phone in my experience. It takes a week or just under to get a response here.

If you can't get FTTC yet I guess your stuck with Virgin really so let the forum team do their thing and take it from there.

Nick_M2
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Should have probably said, i'm in area 08 !

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Nick_M2,

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the connection problems you're experiencing. I've taken a look, your power and SNR levels are good, no time-outs or after faults currently raised. I see the usage in your area does increase during peak time hours, but not currently exceeding thresholds. We will gladly keep monitoring this and if anything changes we can raise a fault ticket.

Thanks for your patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Nick_M2
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for looking Heather but that's exactly what I keep being told by your support desk, it's been happening for 7 months so clearly something isn't right? What more do I need to do to get the problem sorted?

I pay just under £80 a month for 200mb broadband and XL TV, yet I can barely stream a film from Netflix in the evening because it's so slow. No point me paying for a service if you can't deliver.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Nick_M2,

I hear what you're saying and I agree it's very frustrating, if there was more I could do right now, I'd do it. Thing is, even if I was to raise a fault for high peak time usage, it won't be accepted by our networks team as when they perform tests, they'll see it's not hitting thresholds.

Let's see if the levels change at all during this week as it's the school holidays.

Speak soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
pete7049
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And of course, VM won't tell you what their Thresholds are. Phhhht.

F003443743. December '14 - May '17.
0 Kudos
Nick_M2
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks. FTTC arrives in the next few months so I'll have to switch then.

0 Kudos