Menu
EvilGnome
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband at dial-up speeds after discussing contract with support.

Hi all,

Recently I've called up to discuss some issues with my billing and, as you do, I ended discovering I'm paying way more than I could be, so I changed the subscription. I'm still on Vivid 200 with the big black hub (2.0 I think, it was an update from the tiny one they gave out years ago), so no actual package change, but the bandwidth since the call has been sitting at a painful 0.5 Mbps download. I've triple checked my router, restarted all that's connected to it, disconnected what could be disconnected and still nothing. Is this potentially due to the change in contract? I'd understand if there was a package swap, but everything is basically the same except the price I'll be paying from now on. Is there anything else I can check before ringing Virgin support tomorrow as internet at those speeds is basically unusable.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband at dial-up speeds after discussing contract with support.

Similar thing happened to me in January. Was out of contract, but decided to renew with scaled back TV and broadband. Was told by customer services that I could keep my existing broadband at a discount if I wanted. I'd run sppedtests to check everything was ok at peak times before renewing and everything was fine. I asked if I would still be eligible for the 200Mbs free upgrade and was told yes.

But ... this being VM, what I was told wasn't what happened. My package changed from VIVID 152 to VIVID 150 and I lost the free speed upgrade. Not only that I was immediately hit by the utilisation fault that's been affecting my area since October 2015. Due to oversubscription and lack of capacity I get 5Mbs at peak times now.

When I checked this out with VM they first claimed that my change of package and the fault just happened to be coincidental before changing the story to the fault was always there because everyone shares the same cable to my local cabinet. However, because I'd been testing the speed before changing my contract (I've had these faults before and they take months if not years to resolve) I'm certain that the speed tests were fine. In fact, the downside is that because the tests were good I didn't keep the results because I didn't think I'd have to complain. Lesson learned there!

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
EvilGnome
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Very similar indeed. We'd always been slower in the evenings, usually averaging about 20-30 Mbps, but I've tested at various points through the last couple days and even at 2am I couldn't get more than 0.5Mbps, so there's obviously something wrong. Looking through this forum there seems to be a huge amount of people experiencing issues with Vivid 200, so I'm not getting my hopes up it'll be resolved soon. Am I right in thinking I have 14 days to cancel the new contract started by picking up a phone to VM? I was out of contract before I made the change, so I might get some help elsewhere.

0 Kudos
JPL8
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think there is a 14 day cooling off period, but slow responses and procrastination from VM may push you outside that time period.

It can take up to a week to get a response from VM on this forum, for example. Also telephone customer services may tell you that a fault will be "fixed" on a certain date, but just about the world and his wife (including the forum team) will lecture you on it being a "review" date.Though as a customer how you're supposed to know the difference is beyond me, but basically it's unlikely to be fixed quickly if it's a utilisation fault.

Generally the left hand of VM doesn't know what the right hand is doing and the longer you spend interacting with their various customer services the more the inconsistencies grow. At times it can feel as if there's a total disconnect between various parts of VM and their customers.

If you can get a fault reference code out of them then I believe you can leave at any time, but you might want to check that out with VM to be absolutely certain.

"Cable broadband is typically faster than copper-based services, but a significant minority of users experience severe slowdowns in peak times." — Ofcom, UK Home Broadband Performance, November 2016
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi EvilGnome, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your speeds. 

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. 

Are you using a wired or a wireless connection? If wireless try wired, pop the Hub into modem only mode with the computer in safe mode with networking. Let us know if this makes a difference. 

It may also help to see a BQM, to get a better idea of what you are seeing from your side. (Please be aware link is external and we are not responsible for its contents). 

Keep us updated. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos