Menu
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband almost stops in the evenings

Hi guys,

I'm sure this is related to congestion but don't believe its acceptable is it?

For some time now (a long long time and numerous calls to Virgin), I have been getting poor results using the internet and associated services to the point where I can't run HD video on YouTube without long pauses, buffering, and worse!!

Having done some tests with Speedtest.net it transpires that I am getting between 2 and 4mb Download speeds in the evenings and Ping times up to 950 ms.

I have carried out the same test in the morning and get 70mb download speeds. While I'm sure this has to be related to congestion I feel this is unacceptable when paying for 100mb, am I being reasonable? For the first time in years I've started looking seriously at alternatives, might as well have half the speed that works!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband almost stops in the evenings

Hi noakes,

Thanks for posting!

Really sorry to hear you're experiencing speed issues.

I've located your account and I can see a network issue with the network in your area affecting speeds at peak times - Ref.(F003525549). Our technicians are working to resolve this and have set a review date of 26th April 2017.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
noakes
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank's for the update on the network.

I've been experiencing similar problems for some considerable, time since about March 2015. I've been told about network issues and congestion before as the cause but never seems to get resolved. I realise the 100mb might be a maximum figure but 2% of that is a bit excessive, and is actually stopping some Internet services running correctly. 

We now also have bad noise and crackling on the landline,  another recurring issue we have had before, just wondered with that as well if there isn't a problem with the feed to our house too. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi noakes,

Thanks for getting back to me!

The landline runs on a separate cable to the broadband, so it's unlikely the issues will be related.

If you're still having trouble with a crackly landline, I'd like to send a technician to check it out for you. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos